New Houses

Victorian/Edwardian stud walls are fine, but that's because they normally have over an inch of plaster on either side. A stud wall with plasterboard (skimmed or not) is very different.

Houses have been built for many years with a life expectancy of 200 years. There has been much speculation that a number of the building techniques employed in houses since the late '60's will have significantly shorter life expectancy, and should consequently be selling at lower prices more equivalent to those with a lease < 100 years, but this isn't something people consider when buying a house.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed. Someone else mentioned that the strongest houss are often 'between the wars' houses. Its not an inviolable rule, but I would certainly say that the stuff built from 1930-1960 seems to me to be better in general than before, or after, those dates.

The rise in owner occuppied houses may have something to do with it. If you are bulding to rent, you want to get decent return and no miantenance. If building to sell you don't care. The mortgage companies are only interested in durability for the forst few years of teh mortgage, after which the value can reasonably be expected to exceed the remainder of the principal.

The average first time buyer won't be staying anyway more than a few years.

So its chuck up the minimum standard rabbit hutch, flog it and move on...

However, even a rabbit hutch if well maintained lasts longer than teh average rabbit...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, the quality of design of new UK houses is somewhat bland to say the least.

John.

Reply to
John Smith

The generic term in this country - in the magazines at least - appears to be "bungalow eating". This also, of course, covers the cases where the original isn't simply removed, but is extended, extended, extended.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

In some cases a two floor house is not allowed to be built if a bungalow is there. So, people build a basement and re-build the bungalow.

Reply to
IMM

"Jerry" must have been doing something right though, since they are still standing a century later :)

Reply to
Mark Evans

The first model bylaws came in with the Public Health 1875 IIRC so there's possibly something of a distinction between properties built before and after that date. On earlier Victorian properties stucco can hide an awful lot.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hi

From what I've seen of Victorian houses round here they're very variable. The best ones are very good, tho of course with the odd point in which they dont match new, ie insulation, layout, the tendency to stick a 4" walled bit on the back, very close spacing, etc.

But... at the cheaper end of the scale with Vics, basically anything goes. I've seen some scary looking structures, ones that really have done well to survive the century. I mean houses with huge gaps in the structure, sank 4" at one end, houses with joists so thin its a wonder the owner dare go upstairs, multistorey houses with only 4" walls, that sort of thing.

Of course the worst ones have gone, since they fell down or were condemned. Really I think if you buy a Vic you should understand what kind of structure youre buying, because there are some bad houses around.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton