New Car Battery

This happened to my wife. Fortunately, I and my set of jump-leads were only 10 minutes away.

For 'insurance', I nearly always carry a set of jump-leads - and they have indeed come in handy in the same post-shopping scenario, when on returning to my car, I've come across someone with a totally dead battery.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I bought mine on line .. cheaper than local Battery centre for the model I wanted - Group 24 12V sealed - I bought Numax CXV24 I found this place best price:

They even price match against Internet prices

Reply to
rick

whats's that got to do with Halfords? they sell parts.

Reply to
charles

Their quality doesn't match Bosch either.

Reply to
Old Codger

These days they sell services too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think they do offer to test the battery for you. Although the battery could be knackered as well as the drive belt loose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Really? What do they use now?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was ambiguous!

1) You can buy services such as 'change a battery', 'change a buld#. 2) You can buy a 'periodic' 'service' of the vehicle.
Reply to
Bob Eager

They used to sell Bosch batteries as well as their own brand. Their posh brand is now Yuasu.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is what i have got.

Simon Mason

They also sell, fit, and claim to test batteries. But on this occasion totally failed to test.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Were they asked to? and does "testing a battery" include testing whether the charging circuit is working?

Reply to
charles

Agreed.

'Sudden death' also seems to be more common these days. It could be my memory playing tricks but perhaps the newer batteries are more prone to 'sudden death'.

Reply to
Brian Reay

My point was don't trust Halfords to do anything other than what you ask. If my neighbours had gone to a our local garage instead of Halfords the battery, and whether it was receiving a charge, would have been tested rather than simply selling them a battery assuming that an 72 year old lady had the knowledge to diagnose the fault.

The car had a less than two year old battery already!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

That sentence is too long. "Don't trust Halfords." There, that's better.

Reply to
Huge

Are you saying every single person who works for Halfords dishonest?

You think any and all local garages perfectly honest, and wouldn't con an old lady?

If she was capable of driving, why didn't she keep details of warranties, etc?

Silly to play on her being an old lady if alert etc enough to own a car and drive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think if you said 'Don't trust anyone associated with the motor trade' you'd be on firmer ground.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Local Motor Factor sells three types of battery, Bosch, 4 yr warranty and most expensive ???, 3 yr warranty, gives some warning of failure ???, 1 yr warranty and simply dies without warning but is barely half the price of a Bosch.

IMHO you wont go far wrong going to a GM dealer and getting a GM battery. They are no more expensive and have the green indicator. The one I had in my Astra F was still going string after 8 years.

A sudden nasty frost when it goes down to -3 will finish off any battery that is close to end of life.

*Avoid* Halfords unless you are desperate.
Reply to
Andrew

Modern cars are far more busy even when standing parked. If you regularly leave a car made in recent years unused for more than a few days the battery will already have significant drain. Ok in mild weather and a decent battery but fit a cheap battery and live where the temperature regularly goes below zero and you are asking for trouble.

Reply to
Andrew

[Snip]

what's likely to make a 72 year old lady get it wrong. My wife is 73!

Reply to
charles