New Car Battery

I was at Plymouth BC yesterday. Very helpful staff. Got an Exide 45aH for £69 fitted.

There was some life left in the 6 yr old Toyota factory fitted Varta. They were happy to let me keep it, although they do lose out on 'scrappage'. I guess there's a few quid's worth, in the old lead plates.

Reply to
Bertie Doe

With respect what Halfords sell is of no relevance.

A completely illogical and nonsensical conclusion from the reality that one can often fit a battery of different size to the original.

No-one has proposed such, as if you brain were functioning you'd well know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Low performance vehicles don't need battery clamps to be functional. I've driven more than one vehicle that had no provision for any sort of battery clamping. Of course they're a hazard in a crash, that's primarily why cars now have the clamps.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

for some vague value of checked.

It was done all the time when scrapyards were common. It's hardly difficult.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Crikey - you are really well off: we are very impressed.

Reply to
Judith

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

"Now"? My first car (1964) was a 1953 Ford Prefect. I'm pretty sure that its battery was secured (was it in a box compartment?) - and I'm definitely sure that all my subsequent cars had clamps or similar ways of securing the battery. It's unthinkable that they wouldn't.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Do you actually read the posts you're replying to?

I'd guess your definition of 'fit' might be different to others.

It's exactly what you said by replying to my post.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for confirming you're a danger on the roads.

I've yet to see any production car of any age where the battery isn't secured, as supplied by the factory.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of course. Having the battery rattling around is so silly I'm surprised that even Mr Purr thinks it OK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see any discussion with you is pointless.

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you learn a bit more about cars you'll find there are lots of old cars w ith no provision for a battery clamp. They tend to be prized rather than ca lled silly. I have no problem with having driven some pieces of history, an d far from your assertion that such is a danger, classic cars in fact have a better safety record on the road than modern ones. It appears that parado x and its explanation are things you know nothing about.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OTOH I've bought many a second hand one where the clamps were missing and how they attached was not obvious, to the point where you might be forgiven for thinking they didn't have any.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Please give an actual example of a production car supplied with no battery clamp. Should be very easy for you since they are so common in your experience.

The first car I owned was a 1954 MG Magnette. Which had a battery clamp. And all the many I've owned since have a method of securing the battery too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is if you choose to ignore points in a thread. And reply to something you've invented.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had scores of cars over the decades and most of them had unsecured batteries for whatever reason. It has never caused me the slightest difficulty.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well yes and no., They do flap around if you are an enthusiastic driver, and I did have one short itself momentarily and cut the engine..

Since I ran out of scrapyards in those days it was never hard to find a replacement clamp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, the little rectangular washers down the bottom.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Lada Riva. Commer walkthrough.

But older ones don't, and some post 54 ones don't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Historic cars and manic driving tend not to mix, at least not with the sort I like.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

and does represent a very real and likely danger of unfused battery leads causing a dead short across the battery, I thought that must be legislated against?

Reply to
MrCheerful