New Car Battery

Car needs a new battery (drove it Saturday, wouldn't start Tuesday) Do I just key in the existing one into ebay and buy the cheapest, or go into town to Halfords, or is there a better or cheaper battery?

George

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

I use Tayna batteries. Online service near next day delivery. Normally get a choice of quality warranty duration and very competitive pricing.

No connection - just satisfied customer etc

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , DICEGEORGE writes

I've used an online seller and they were fine and cheap - I just can't remember their name. But last time I needed a battery quickly, I priced the type and maker online and then rang the local independent motor factors (whose vans are always scurrying, delivering to small garages). They price matched and I picked up the battery within the hour.

Reply to
Bill

I'm rather sold on Bosch these days since my last one did 11 years, and know of some others that lasting as well too. If you have a EuroCarParts handy, they do them at a good price. And mail order too.

Halfords isn't good value - unless you have their trade card.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've done the customary simple test to make sure it is the battery and not the charging circuity? Checked the battery terminals are clean and tight? Checked the battery water (if not sealed)?

OK, ring a local autoelectrician. I find they will fit a battery for free and also price the thing competitively.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If it started the car on Saturday, but wouldn't on Tuesday, then I agree that I would suspect the charging circuit rather than the battery.

Reply to
Davey

Tayna are always my first choice too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's actually very common for batteries to die suddenly. More common than charging circuitry to go wrong in my experience.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Difficult to guess with such an imprecise "wouldn't start". If the engine turned over, but too slowly to start, I'd suspect the battery: if the battery had been reasonably lively in the recent past, but was then suddenly joined the choir invisibule, it could be the alternator diodes allowing a massive discharge. Astra G 1.7 alternators are a bugger to change three days before Christmas in a very cold garage.

A jump start to get it going, then two minutes with a multimeter might be a sound move, as others have said.

Reply to
Kevin

What is the current state of play regarding *coded* radio sets and battery changing?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Dont trust Halfords. They sold an elderly neighbour a new battery, a few days later that was also flat. The problem was a loose fan belt!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Bet you it wasn't (a fan belt that is). They haven't existed for quite some time. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

yes, it turned over too slowly. Going for the best Bosch battery, S5 from tanya £61.93 (with £1.38 facebook discount voucher code) thanks. [g]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

I walked in Halfords two years ago, selected the most expensive battery wit h the highest power rating and they fitted it - all for £105.

Reply to
Simon Mason

In 2013, my power steering pump seized after a few weeks of making a squealing noise - I was 20 miles from home.

When it seized, it destroyed the auxiliary drive belt, taking the alternator with it, causing the power steering to be lost and the not charging the battery lamp came on.

After dropping off our lass, I managed to drive it to the ALFA garage on whatever sparks came from battery power alone.

Reply to
Simon Mason

It might be a dead battery. But it also might be a number of other issues such as. Lack of charge from the alternator. Faulty starter motor. Bad or simply loose earth connection somewhere between battery and engine. Bad or simply loose power connection to starter motor. Corroded battery connections.

Have you checked them all?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Remember starting my car normally and driving to the shops. After shopping and going to the cinema - say about 3 hours, battery totally flat. And it was just the battery knackered.

At one time a battery would usually give warning before failing. This one didn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Local motor factor?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Was this for your milkfloat? Most cars will only take one size of battery. And if it was for your Alfa, you were conned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've known car batteries fail totally between setting out to do some shopping, and trying to start the car to come home again - maybe an hour later, when the engine's still hot.

Reply to
Ian Jackson