Keeping car battery from discharging

I bought a knife switch isolator for the car battery feed, so as to reduce the discharge rate during lockdown. Modified it slightly by putting a couple of screws, spring washers and nuts in place where there was just tapped holes in a piece of 18swg copper.

Reply to
John

Why not simply buy a 'battery diconnect'? Designed for the job, and fitted in seconds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Such as the one I have:

Davey

On things which do have a memory, you'll loose it anyway if you let the battery go flat. And a disconnected battery will hold its charge for many months.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

a modern battery will, but not an old niCad.

Reply to
charles

What about lead acid, which I believe is more common in cars?

Reply to
Scott

Just be aware that the engine management system will have to re-learn some parameters based on your driving when the battery is disconnected. The engine may appear to run differently in the first 15 minutes of driving after a battery re-connection.

Reply to
alan_m

Aren't we talking about lead-acid car betteries here? ... anyway I

*think* NiCad self discharge more slowly than NiMh and other more modern ones, NiCd were just not so nice for the environment.
Reply to
Chris Green

"appear" to run differently?? Surely it really does run differently! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

You're wrong about that with the eneloops.

And wrong about that too.

Reply to
Jake56

Isn't it mostly easier to drive the car a bit?

When I have to go out to get some food, I make sure my route is the longer way round to ensure that the car has opportunity to recharge.

Unless there is something preventing that, it seems to the simplest and best approach.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Correct, NiCd didn't have much of a discharge problem, and the toxic cadmium was their demise. They were also much criticised for their memory effect, which was exaggerated and in reality was not something end users need be concerned about at all.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We were talking about cars. A decent lead acid will last many months and still start the car if fully charged then disconnected. Their self discharge rate is very low.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I keep on reading this sort of thing, but have never experienced it. Have you?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For those who prefer to trickle charge batteries I can vouch for CTEK

Ben Oliver

when I eventually re-connect my car battery, I'll find out the answer. Or, possibly, just an answer.

Reply to
charles

All I can say - comparing like with like I hope - is that my present electric tootbrush with a lithium ion battery runs far longer between charges and has lasted far longer than any nickel cadmium powered model ever did.

Reply to
Scott

There is an excellent Morrisons 12 miles from here with a bit of 70 mph dual carriageway on the way. I always think of some very specific item that I need and may not be in stock elsewhere!

Come to think if it, what are the supermarkets like in Durham? .

Reply to
Scott

Not the best way to re-charge the battery since it needs time. Your alternator will put out the maximum charge at quite low speeds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that. I did wonder. Only a section of 70 mph. Lot of 30, short stretch of 40 then a bit of 50 then a fairly short burst of 70 then 40 then 30 so I thought this was a good mix.

Did I read somewhere that full output is achieved at about 15 mph?

Reply to
Scott