New broadband supplier

I'm on FTTC with copper wire around 5 - 600m from the cabinet, the final

60m or so being strung from poles. I get 30M download and very rarely have any problems - perhaps once a year for a couple of hours. There are no plans for FTTP in this 200+ home village, despite the 2000+ houses estates being built around it, all of whom, I understand, have FTTP and Virgin Cable.

The only time I lost connection for more than a few hours was when a car took out the street cabinets.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

A couple of my neighbours went for satellite way back.

Fine for big bulk data but absolutely useless for gaming or Zoom as they found out during lockdown. New implementations might be better by now.

Most of the farmers went peer to peer microwave link instead since strict line of sight is easy when you have a high barn roof apex.

FWIW the other half of our village got FTTC two decades ago and now we have leapfrogged them with full fibre (much to my surprise).

OR did a remarkable job here (although the rats had nibbled one fibre cable before they even connected a single customer). I suspect that might be how the whole shooting match fails - to rodents teeth.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There are some green spots (8-24Mbps):

If you zoom in they're still there, but perhaps being green they're not so easy to see, while the yellow and red ones are a bit clearer:
There's only one spot per postcode, so a low density of postcodes means a low density of spots. They also aren't opaque so you can still see the streets underneath them. Perhaps a darker colour would have been better, but they are there. It's easier to see them if you zoom out.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

For Newbourne, if I tick All FTTP, there's a blob in Mill Road and another on Jackson Road, as well as some outlying areas:

If I deselect that and work through the options, the blobs appear on the 'Openreach native FTTP' overlay. So it appears that's where your local FTTP is.
Theo

Reply to
Theo

I think the dots are per postcode. eg here's a random bit of Ipswich:

Every little twisty cul-de-sac has a single dot. I very much doubt that a customer in every 6 house cul-de-sac has done a speedtest. But it seems strongly plausible that each differently-named cul-de-sac has a postcode, and that's what generates each dot.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

ok, yes I think I see that now, if you click the "click to view map" link on this page, the postcode centres do seem to coincide with the FTTP/FTTC dots

Andy Burns

[snip..] Q: what's FTTH? Different from FTTP?
Reply to
mechanic

In message <TXl* snipped-for-privacy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+ snipped-for-privacy@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes

That might be the case, but I'm not convinced (and neither am I trying to pick an argument). My street has one post code, but the dot appears to overlap with another street, which will be on a different postcode. I suppose it is possible that it is one or more properties on that street that has got FTTP, but the size of the dot means that it overlaps me. It could also be that the map is getting ahead of itself a bit. There are currently three new houses being built on that street, almost in line with me. From comments elsewhere in the thread, they will get FTTP from the start, but where the cables will run for that isn't clear.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

There's no filter for 'wishful thinking'?

Reply to
mechanic

Maybe the real demand is from apartment blocks with 30 users demanding netflix service at the same time.

Reply to
mechanic

H = home, P = premises.

Calling it FTTP covers businesses etc, while FTTH doesn't. Also FTTP sometimes doesn't go all the way to the home: eg in a block of flats there might be fibre to the comms room in the basement and ethernet to each flat.

Also 'premises' covers infrastructure that's neither businesses nor homes, like traffic lights.

Strictly FTTP is more correct from an ISP point of view.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

FTTP typically goes right back to a county town sized exchange - your local copper exchange will eventually be demolished and become a house once the upgrades are completed. Don't hold your breath.

One minor snag of digital VOIP is that all local calls now flag as "out of area".

My local exchange only does FTTC and ADSL2+ over copper.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ah yes, 21st century technology in action!

Reply to
mechanic

"Way back" would be a single geostationary satellite so they need to be very high, which means a long transit delay compared to StarLink which uses multiple low orbit satellites so can achive ping times comparable with hard linked internet.

They should be aware of that...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Using Maps, navigate to Newbourne.

Click on any of the businesses to obtain a postcode.

Go here:

A list of services is provided.

Enter the postcode and the details are there. Obviously, the OP has tried his own postcode?

Reply to
Richard

"if the right investment conditions are in place"

Reply to
Andrew

That's strange, the BT exchange building in my village (unmanned) was recently given a new flat roof, fully insulated to modern building regs, and then they fitted guard rails around the whole main flat section plus the elevated bit that probably holds a water tank. No wonder they are not making much profit these days.

The latter work was done afterwards and all the uprights were fixed by drilling through the horizontal bit of the parapet all around the perimeter of the roof, they didn't even bother to fit these uprights the top of the walls to avoid making holes in the new roof !.

Reply to
Andrew

Was this originally planned to be an open-plan estate without any poles, or hedges,fences ahead of the building line ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Check with Google maps if the dot is the same place as the Google postcode marker.

If you want to know the official positions of postcodes then this might help:

marker represents a building closest to the centroid of the postcode.

Reply to
Fredxx

That is because your local exchange isn't an FTTP terminus - the fibre cables go a long way typically ~10 miles or more to a bigger exchange.

Your best bet is Google "superfast <name of county>"

The first hit (advert) may be a scam[*] so treat with caution but one of the top ten should be a genuine county wide survey of what is available.

[*] that is what I found just now when checking my advice worked.
Reply to
Martin Brown