New broadband supplier

if you have only 13Mb/s adsl, it might actually be worthwhile looking at mobile broadband and porting your number across to VOIp via say Andrews and Arnold.

Three do an unlimited data for £20 a month amd A&Ado a VOIp service for around £2 a month.

All of the mobile netowkrs can typically get up to 45 Mb/s but if you are in the countryside you may need an external antenna

Reply to
SH

In the last 4 years with Plusnet, there has only been one month where our bill for phone calls (those made outside the 'Evenings & Weekends' free period) actually exceeded the extra cost of an unlimited calls package. SWMBO _was_ in the habit of using the landline to attempt to contact our GP's surgery - until I explained that she was paying 17.15 pence per minute in order to be caller number 14 in the queue.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It's a map of postcodes and various overlays of what services are available at each one. Tick the providers to see where their services can be found. Each spot indicates service at a particular postcode. Some tech (ADSL and FTTC) has different coloured spots based on the speeds available.

Some of the ones at the top are aggregate - eg the 'Openreach VDSL and FTTP'

- that join several services further down together.

It's particularly useful for the smaller ISPs, where you can see they have buildout in particular villages or whatever.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The same could happen elsewhere. I am in the suburbs and get 350 Mb/s broadband and 250 Mb/s 5G - at least according to the speed test I ran yesterday.

Reply to
SteveW

But it can only show things on the map where a customer has run a speed test to provide data

Reply to
Andy Burns

I guess that counts as 'available' - ie they are free to take it up if they want to, and it just needs stringing from the pole.

Even a conversion into flats could trigger the FTTP install, which you wouldn't necessarily know about if there's no outside building work.

The deal with OR is they'll install fibre for a development of 2 or more (previously was 3 or more) and cover the build cost to get to site (which could be miles) if you pay the fixed newbuild installation fee. I suppose if you're doing a single build you either have to cover the cost of buildout, or you get put on the existing copper network.

(wonders about wheezes where you declare the garden shed to be a separate dwelling so OR will pay for the long distance fibre install...)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

which layer are you looking at on the map?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm in the (leafy) suburbs around Manchester. We have 350 Mb/s via Virgin (we could get faster if we wanted), had 38 Mb/s via FTTC before that, 250 Mb/s (for home) has been available from 5G for at least 6 months and Openreach are "working on your exchange right now" for 1 Gb/s FTTP. I am not sure if BT are intending to use overhead fibre, but a new telegraph pole was installed

3 houses down, a few weeks ago (we already had one next-door and another directly opposite).
Reply to
SteveW

No, that's the speedtest option. If you tick, for example, 'ADSL/ADSL2+ Est Speed' you get a coloured dot for every postcode, coloured by speed. It looks pretty complete - seems to cover every street. I assume that comes from the Openreach database.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I had a static address with Plusnet, but ditched them when they failed to change it, after we were targetted, on an ongoing basis, for attacks from abroad that slowed our modem/router to a crawl (buying a business grade one for myself helped a lot, as it could cope with the volume). 3 months of messing, sending them logs showing the attacks and then them asking stupid questions like is your PC connected by Ethernet or WiFi and I gave up and moved.

We moved to Virgin, who don't offer fixed IP addresses on domestic services, but where the dynamically assigned address hardly ever changes (our has now stayed the same for the 20 months since we joined them, even when powered down for electrical work and then restarted).

Reply to
SteveW

Well since it shows nothing anywhere near us it seems pretty pointless.

Having to click every one of dozens of little boxes to find which one

*might* be near us seems a bit backwards to me.

I need a map that tells me if *anything* is near us and, if that's too much, lets me filter it.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well it shows nothing anwhere in the whole of our village when you click that button. (Newbourne, IP12, near Woodbridge)

Reply to
Chris Green

Free mobile and landline call package.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

plusnet have a firewall that opearates at their end, rather than one you might have at your end, theirs would stop the traffic clogging your connection.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Open Reach VDSL2/FTTP postcodes

The map is a bit odd. My street has ~25 houses, and the dot covers my end, but not the other end (which are fed from the same pole). To me that implies that ~1/3 of the houses can get FTTP, but not the others.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Looking at my road, there are only a few dots. They seem to be where there are actual OpenReach/FTTP installations. Two separate dots cover premises that I know to be on the same pole (one is mine, the other I saw installed).

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's what I meant earlier when I said it only shows dots where it has reports from customers ... looking at that layer for my area, the whole village is peppered with dots, but the dots don't correspond to cabinets or poles, just premises. There is no BT FTTP here, just FTTC, so the map isn't showing anything to do with FTTP for me.

The openreach native FTTP layer also shows zilch near me, but a bit further away on new estates it does show some clusters with coverage.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It wasn't though. I was getting bombarded with attempts to connect to my home server (which refused to cooperate), from lots of different addresses - mainly from China, some from Vietnam and Few from Rumania.

The server rightly rejected the connections, but did not acknowledge their rejection (for security), but without an explicit rejection, the router was taking time to drop each of these connections and was slowing to a crawl.

Reply to
SteveW

I think that is exactly what is happening

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sounds how you had the plusnet firewall configured, it's not the answer in all cases, depends what (if any) inbound connections you want.

Reply to
Andy Burns