New broadband supplier

I'm with Virgin and its around 54, but they do throw in some mobile calls. I guess there is no such thing as a bargain. That might be a better way to look at it. The crucial thing for me as far as I know is to heed the Virgin, you will be out of contract next month and the new price is email, and ring them and threaten the usual leaving thing. What I tend to think though, is that so many folk are now cynical about this silly round and round dance a company which offered an in between price for always would be seen as more responsible. Do they not know that they are just subsidising one thing with another? I mean its all a bit like credit, nothing to pay for x months then xx a month. If you actually calculate it the prices overall are pretty much the same unless you go berserk on something that only has time limits. Mobil phone contacts that include the phone are the same kind of thing, you end up paying more for it than if you bought it outright and cgot a sim only deal.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, we're similar, we have anytime calls included, plus mobiles etc. so we pay a bit more but it's still under £40.

Reply to
Chris Green

Mine arrived down a rural lane of less than 8 properties. In fact you should get preference.

It's the people on 40Mbps VDSL FTTC who wont get fibre any time soon. Openreach have been told to get everyone on at leats 40Mbps I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not so.

Only a few rural locations will get left behind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IDnet will do you unlimited VOIP (UK) and fibre for an all in £50 a month Its basically a resold BT product in both cases.

I wont be sticking with them for phone, but the fibre alone is £30 a month. That's acceptable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"At the moment, our Ultrafast Full Fibre build plans don’t include your area" - am I the last of the few?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Yes. Probably. Given the gummints plan, obviously they will try and upgrade those on the worst connections in the highest quantities.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Openreach claim to be currently working on our exchange. Sadly, entering our postcode doesn't bring up any forecast.

13Mbps is adequate for our current use. There may be FTTC but half mile of cable and overhead from there.

I have opted for the Plusnet offer and will report impacts on

30/01/2023!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, same here, except 3:50 worth of referral credit each month takes that down to 26:49.

I think it'll be going up in April with the CPI think. Of course the referral discount won't increase by 15%, so presumably I'll be paying

29:99 x 1.15 = 34:49 minus 3.50 = £30:99 ?
Reply to
Mark Carver

Anyone know if they've stopped their referals discounts now? I used to get a monthly email saying your charges ar £x then another amail saying we'll take a direct debit payment of £x-3, but now they seem to take the full amount

Reply to
Andy Burns

Friends live in a very rural area of 8 properties miles away from the fibre to the cabinet box. Broadband down the cable is dire (voice is also a bit noisy at times). They elected to go with BT with the EE backup. On recommendation from the installer technician they disconnected their router from the BT landline which means that the EE backup over the mobile phone network kicks in. Although the connection may not be good enough for a games freak it well suites their needs.

Reply to
alan_m

Still there on my last bill (Dec 22)

One thing I just noticed I was charged 47p for a 1 second call to a mobile number. I was checking whether a diversion was working, and I had a one second burst of, 'Sorry...', so does that actually count as a terminated chargeable call ?

PlusNet really are piss takers when it comes to PAYG calls !

I've been recently mulling Uno Broadband as an alternative (careful though, prices are exclusive of VAT, and there are migration charges )

Mark Carver

So many areas, including mine, is designated "This exchange isn't in our major build yet".

Reply to
Fredxx

Just checked and it's on mine too, what seems to have changed is they only send out the "after discount" email now, no longer send the "before discount" email.

Can't be many ISPs left giving a static IP as standard nowadays? My block of 8 static IPs is one of the things keeping me with Plusnet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Agreed. I wouldn't move from A&A anyway, but I have a /29 and a /26.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes excellent firm Zen, wouldn't go anywhere else:!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Putting my postcode in results in "We don't have any major plans to build in this exchange." I'm in Inner London which can in no way be described as rural.

g.network has put fibre in but they are running a Virgin-like monopoly, i.e. you have a choice of one ISP, the one providing the fibre/cable. I'll wait for Openreach.

Reply to
Roger

IDnet is still static for a single address.

Given that everyone is 'always on' these days, there seems to be every reason to go static and ditch dynamic addresses., which hide spam bots.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. I remember someone in rural norfolk who couldn't get any broadband AT ALL over the wires, just about 4800bps on a MODEM!!! and ended up with a 3G dongle on a long cable up in the roof..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you almost certainly have FTTC.

As I said, people with FTTC are now low on priority especially if they can get over 20Mbps.

Really rural locations could try Starlink...;-

Just another monopoly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher