New broadband supplier

But if you click on the filter icon, and limit it to just "completed", "building now", or "available within in 12months" it's not exactly blanketing the country is it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless you live with a phone surgically attached to your ear and always in use it is worth doing the sums to see if unlimited landline calls is worth having at all. My landline is strictly for incoming calls only.

I find 200 minutes a month on each of two mobiles is more than enough.

I recall EE had a fairly decent deal for landline, broadband and mobile as well (data upgrade on the mobile too). Unfortunately at the time that I wanted full fat fibre they couldn't preserve my landline number so I went with BT. Always worth haggling with them by phone and starting at a price point and speed lower than you actually want.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Possibly. I expected hell to freeze over before it came to my village.

However, it did suddenly appear about a year ago. Accompanied by a lot of digging and road closures.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That is consistent with our situation. Local copper what or is left of it can barely support 2Mbps and is fragile as hell after encounters with hedge flailers where it is above ground and with conduits and junction boxes flooding in winter. I don't envy the engineers on this patch.

At one point they were breaking one working ADSL circuit for every two that they mended and were camped here for more than a week continuously.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If you are going to do that permanently it is worth investing in a Mifi that accepts external antennae and a pair of cheap Chinese yagis. I had that setup and in remote places with line of sight could work any base station that I had line of sight on. Hauwei make some good ones but the numbering is very confusing with some having the same part number but not having the external connectors enabled.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No plans for my area, either - _very_ rural.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Ours have already.

That is what has happened here.

Ours have a separate charge for phone calls if you want to be able to make any over your broadband service, mostly unlimited calls to any landline or mobile in the country. And for much less than the line rent used to be.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think what you have failed to appreciate is how much of the country is already on FTTC, and therefore there is no immediate plan to upgrade that.

Unless there is urban demand for gigabit speeds - like the City - in general the more rural non FTTC locations seem to be being upgraded first.

I just clicked on my exchange. They have no plans to upgrade it, and yet I have FTTP.

Conclusion? The map is utter bollocks. Sorry for posting it

A better one is

which shows postcode by postcode where fibre is available - in my village and the adjacent ones, the village centre is FTTC, but the outlying roads leading to the adjacent villages are mostly FTTP, because here ADSL speeds were well below 5Mbps and VDSL was not available.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As I said, that map appears to be little more than utter marketing fluff and bollocks.

I am also very rural. It says my exchange will not be upgraded, but I have FTTP. You tell me?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try this map

You can overlay VDSL on that, and when you do there isn't much left anywhere on ADSL, or with no broadband at all...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

we had FTTC - Cabinet only 300m away - but we got FTTP last spring

Reply to
charles

FTTP is bypassing the exchange. That's what is happening here

Reply to
charles

We only recently got FTTC (I was the first on our exchange). Before that, streaming was impossible, and when one of us needed to work from home, only one device at a time would function - most of the time. Sometimes even that one device would have problems with the connection.

We wound up needing to use expensive mobile data for important stuff.

Reply to
S Viemeister

What do you mean by "phone packages"? From

:"Plus, all our Superfast packages come with unlimited downloads, optional phone line rental and UK-based support."

More phone info at

Jeff Layman

You keep saying that, but around here (North Hampshire) I've seen plenty Openreach FTTP DPs in urban and suburban areas with 60/70/80 Mb/s FTTC, (and Virgin being available too) and conversely in the middle of nowhere in places that have super slow FTTC, or ADSL. There's not apparent correlation as far as I can see.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Some of that might be new builds. OR aren't wiring new builds to copper any more (at least if you have more than 2 properties on a site) and so they need the fibre infrastructure to get there. Even a small infill build or conversion might be a cause of some FTTP DPs appearing.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That could be the situation in one case. A long road of 1930s/40s houses that were opposite a big estate of 1930/40s factories. The factories were demolished 5-6 years ago, and there's a big new build housing estate there now. All FTTP of course. However the 30/40s houses all now have FTTP DPs on their telegraph poles, (and only a handful of take up so far) >60Mb/s FTTC, so no incentive.

The other areas in town with FTTP are no where near any new build stuff.

There was a new build single house round the corner from me, that two Openreach bods were rigging a new overhead line to. The reel was on the ground, I picked it up and looked at the end. 'Copper, not fibre ?' I said to one of the bods. 'Not quite yet' was his answer with a grin.

Reply to
Mark Carver

I've played with that map before, and now again, and I can make no sense of it whatsoever. Can someone explain to me what it's supposed to tell us?

Reply to
Chris Green

That has taken me to the same stupid map! :-(

Reply to
Chris Green

In message <tpuo1g$21iqj$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. According to that map OR's FTTP is available here.

I spoke to my ISP earlier this week, and they are adamant that OR's FTTP is not available here. Also according to OR it isn't available here, although their contractors put various additional bits of hardware onto the telegraph poles last year. OT have a form that you can fill in asking for updates, but I haven't had any feedback from them.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian