New Aircraft Carrier to be powered by renewable energy

Well it is April 1st, I expect more of these very soon now. I though for a moment it was going to be rowed like a Galley. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I enjoyed the re-run of the BBC spaghetti story 60 year anniversary this morning.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not sails? We are, after all, being told that wind power is the future.

Reply to
Nightjar

There was quite a good novel along these lines, years ago, by Geoffrey Jenkins. More 'future' than SF.

What I found interesting was the strategic importance it placed upon the Falklands - in 1981.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Maybe this is why:

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm sure that was mentioned. Prophetic for the year after, though.

The ship was very advanced - quite interesting.

Reply to
Bob Eager

There have been a couple of serious proposals for cargo ships propelled by vertical aerofoils, but that is not without problems. There is also a company promoting kite surfing style kites as a way to reduce fuel costs.

Reply to
Nightjar

Some small boats were built with aerofoils about 50 years ago. Not successful.

Reply to
Capitol

Enough hot air coming from the government.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Green energy targets on the red tape bonfire ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

There is a good reason that people stopped using sails. 70 years later what that was conveniently forgotten so that Margarat Thatched could fight the Germans miners. (The Germans have imported their own solution for a good punch up these days.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Laws of thermodynamics and power to weight ratios don't figure strongly in plots for fairy tales. One of the worst problems for sailers was the need f or ballast. They could never run empty not even down river.

JETWIND is magnificent. The revolutionary computerized sailing ship, swifte r than the fastest clipper, will rule the seas-if she can break the speed r ecords from South America to the Cape...

Any idea how deep the keel would need to be on a ship with such a sail conf iguration. Getting across a sand bar would be interesting and then dealing with the cills of most docks.

What is the reason she needs to break the speed records from South America to the Cape...

And how will it benefit anyone over the use of modern (Victorian?) canals?

(The ship's average speed is rated by how much damage the captain is allowe d to do versus the Beaufort Scale.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Oops!

"His story-telling has a drive that is compulsive." Scotsman I thought it was a sailer from the graphic. I didn't realise it would be about a sex? compulsion drive.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What killed sailing ships wasn't best trip time, but consistency.

Steam across the Atlantic takes 5 days. Year in, year out, standard for the liners.

The sailing record is faster than that. Eastbound. Achieved once. Typical times for that type of vessel are at least twice that - and nobody tries during a winter storm...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

average speed of a sailing ship was around 5 knots with a crew of at least 40.

average speed of a tramp steamer was around 7 knots with a crew of 10.

Go figure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Modern sails could be automated and in addition to engines. The result could be a saving of fuel & time on some journeys - time especially is of value.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

..almost *anything* if you are ignorant enough to beleive...

Let me ask you something Tabbypurr.

1/. Why is this even of interest to you? 2/. Are you an expert in propulsion systems? The economics of cargo ships? 3/. Are you a hi tech investor?

Or is it that you have been bombarded by some much climate change propaganda that you feel guilty and feel you ought to know more about it than you do, and getting excited about green drivel you read somewhere is your way to feel less guilty?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the transition from sail to steam, many vessels had both, the first being Brunel's celebrated ss Great Britain (modern painting here

). But they fell out of favour, and despite attempts to revive the practice over the last, what, thirty years or so, perhaps longer, and although a few ships were built or adapted to have 'sails' of one sort of another (mostly 'wingsails' or Flettner rotors), the big shipping lines don't yet seem to be persuaded of their merits.

An review of the technology, by Lloyd's Register, here

(can't see a publication date, but probably ~2015)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Energy density of the wind cant match bunker oil period.

Any ship big enough to carry serious sails is in serious danger of capsizing.

The current round the world sailing records stand at around 45 days. for

24,000 miles plus minus (loose calculation)

That is an average of 22 mph for the fastest sea going sailing boats there are. with a crew of 15 and all modern satnav etc.

And I don't believe they do a full 24000 miles either.

compare typical container ships

where 20knots = 23mph.

And as typical crew would be 20-25 people

However the racing cat carries just its crew. And the speed is a record breaking speed.. The container ship carries thousands of tonnes of containers. Its speed is routinely achieved every day.

I rest my case.

Windpower is just crap compared with big diesels or an oil burning steam turbine

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher