Jointer or Aircraft carrier

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

Markem

The $2500 asking price seems high.

Reply to
ritzannaseaton

But he will load it for you, as to price you can ask but what you get is another matter. Bet he might dicker a bit.

Reply to
Markem

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a

16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

Reply to
Just Another Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not certain the largest ever made, but Oliver made at least 30" and a few 36" I've seen photos of, but not by Crescent nor Oliver, the most likely names one might think of...

American WoodWorking Machinery Co 36"

C O Porter Machinery Co 36"

Both of these were in casket-manufacturing shops, they say...

I'd guess there were specific-purpose even larger machines made, but I don't have any examples.

Reply to
dpb

Specifically, no...but I would put it down in the category of being prepared for anything that might come up...I also suspect there was a lot more likelihood/need 50+ years ago of the vintage the machine and ship are/were than present.

I've seen a lot of similar equipment on surplus military base auctions over the years of WW II or prior vintage, some of which also had designations that indicated had been on board ship, not just land-based shops.

Reply to
dpb

Agreed!

Reply to
Leon

The elevators and some decks were wood.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC the battleships had wood decks.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Decks were (I think) teak planks over the steel deck for better footing and weather...hadn't thought about the elevator decks and all, though...

I suppose it may still be practice to have the wood surface deck; hadn't really thought of it.

Reply to
dpb

Those old Iowa class battleships have beautiful teak decks.

Reply to
isten

Sure, that makes sense. There is probably a lot of wood on an aircraft carrier.

I'm still curious as to the use of a 16" jointer on a ship out at sea. What would they be jointing in a damage control situation? Maybe using pieces from one damaged area to fix another, leaving the other out of commission until they back in dock?

When you joint something, you make it smaller, so unless they have an onboard stockpile of wood for use in repair situations, you can't just joint the blown up pieces and put them back where they came from.

I would think that any "spare parts" requiring the use of a 16" jointer would be back at the shipyards - unless they stock huge boards on the ship.

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

I'd hazard a guess it wasn't on a carrier itself but a support ship w/ the fleet...they're equipped for essentially anything that might possible be needed, including pattern-making for castings if push comes to shove.

Remember the military aspect -- they have to be able to complete the mission regardless what goes wrong so they're _way_ over-prepared in some ways in order to be able to cope with whatever happens when there's nobody but themselves to handle it.

But, then again, too, remember we're also talking of a machine of 75 year or so ago vintage and conditions then and before--the need any more likely isn't what it once was.

Similar when I look at the reactor design for the Navy propulsion units and compare to what we designed into commercial power reactors -- the need to keep things going "no matter what" gives the Captain the ability to ask for full power with conditions that would completely shut down a commercial reactor until normalcy was regained.

Reply to
dpb

Makes sense. Good explanation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The OP stated that the auction listing specified a Battleship, which would likely be one of the Iowa class boats.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nope it is right in the subject, as the OP I ought to know right? Now the 16" one the teacher refered as to coming off a WWII battle ship.

Reply to
Markem

Unless the teacher is one of those people for whom anything painted gray that floats and has a gun on it is a "battleship", including the USS Reluctant.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Another use? - Support for any on-land needs, once men landed and built,set up new onshore accommodations.

The jointer I recently acquired came from a military base, likely for the men's recreational use, than a military use.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Regardless if it was on the Nimitz, the Missouri or PT-109, the question remains the same:

What is an at-sea 16" jointer used for?

Reply to
DerbyDad03