Jointer or Aircraft carrier

Check the bearings in the head, make sure they don't have any kind of grinding sound.

Motor seems original. Spin the armature for unusual sound. May need new power cord.... may need a new motor for that age.

Make sure, as best you can, the tables are flat, not warped. Are the table adjustments still smoothly operating?

Two blades is not ideal. $2500 is way too much, IMO.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Emergency anchor.

Reply to
Markem

More likely hyperbole to get the attention of the young teen boys.

Reply to
Markem

I toured the USS Lexington, the grey ghost, when I was about 12 years old. It is now permanently anchored where I grew up. It was still operating at the time. I remember riding the elevator and the rush of air that got sucked with it as it went below deck....

Anyway the ship had a full woodworking shop. You have to remember that these ships made battle ships look small and had a crew that numbered in the thousands. The carriers had a large capacity for storage. Keeping an inventory of wood on board would not have been a big issue compared to "normal" sized ships of that era.

If you were in a battle at a time of war and your deck was damaged, you did not go back to port to have repairs made. You had to get the airplanes back up in the air. You worked with what you had. You did not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever task was needed.

Reply to
Leon

I think the USS Enterprise is "Grey Ghost" and USS Lexington the "Blue Ghost"...both were reported sunk by Japanese propaganda arm multiple times.

The latter point is the key one -- up through and until like the Midway(?) the US still used the wood-overlay flight decks along with whatever else may have had wood construction.

In wartime for which any US Navy ship is intended, one simply can't afford to have anything limiting the immediate need; predicted or not. Whatever you do, don't limit the ability to make either routine or emergency repairs by the size of the toolset supplied.

Reply to
dpb

You are right on the ghost thing. When I was a kid I remembered "ghost" and I remembered the ship was grey. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. Makes sense.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 8/15/2020 10:19 AM, Leon wrote: ...

I'd not have known the difference, either, if hadn't just looked up the Enterprise before..

Reply to
dpb

I camped on the battleship USS Massachusetts with my sons' Cub Scout Pack in

2005. We roamed the open parts of the ship freely and slept in one of the big bunk rooms. They had a fully equipped "carpenters shop" (per the sign) and there wasn't a small tool in the place. Nor were there any small tools in the metal shop. Apparently all the machinery was left on the ship when it was decommissioned. Given that it was only in service for about 5 years the machinery appeared to be pristine.

Much of the ship was not open to the public so I cannot say what may have been stored in the holds in terms of wood.

Regarding wood on the battleship... not a lot compared to all the steel! The decks were the most obvious things of wood and there was some wood in some cabins.

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I'm curious now, but my searching for info on shipboard woodworking shops is not giving me results, too many wood ship models flooding it.

The most epic repair at sea story I have ever read is "McLintock's Calcuated Risk", which was about a steamer that lost it's propeller at sea in 1900, and the truely insane job of replacing it mid-Atlantic, approximately half way between Cape Town and Buenos Aires, the source and destination ports for the trip.

https://qaz.wtf/tmp/McLintockCalculatedRisk.txt

"You worked with what you had" is exactly what you do, thousands of miles from land with your ship dead in the water because the propeller has vanished into the murky depths in the days before shipboard radios.

Not really a story of woodworking, though.

Elijah

------ makes you wonder about the the ships without William McLintock

Reply to
Eli the Bearded