Never throw anything away

Just used a piece of an old garden pavilion (one of those tent-like things) to mend the handle of the grass bin cover on the ride-on lawnmower.

Reply to
Huge

Huge wrote

It must be a struggle to drive the lawnmower around the piles of scrap in your yard. Probably cheaper to buy a couple of sheep.

Reply to
Jabba

In message , Jabba writes

But then you would have to train them to operate the mower.

Reply to
Bill

Geese might be better, and they seem less likely to misbehave, and if they do you just eat them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You've obviously never met real geese, then. They get very territorial and gang up on intruders, and aren't always able to recognise their owner. You also need a pond for them to wash in, which rapidly becomes like an open septic tank.

Reply to
John Williamson

As in "I didn't nick it, it fell off the back of a passing SR-71 officer"?

Reply to
Robin

I was a building inspector back when roof tie-down straps were first brought in and at first they weren't always easy to obtain. I went to inspect an extension in Chessington to be greeted with some superb straps like I'd never seen before. "Don't tell anyone", said my self-build client, "but I work for Hawkers [Kingston] and they're titanium alloy offcuts". Perhaps you had a bit of the same?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reminds me of a friend who had an Austin 1100 gearbox first motion shaft made in the machine shop at Rolls Royce aero engines.

(When I worked in the fitting shop at WD & HO Wills in Bristol, these jobs were called "foreigners". I still have the Newton's cradle I made there around here somewhere.)

Reply to
Huge

I thought for a moment you were going to say you had found a use for a knackered pedestal fan.

Reply to
ARW

Nah. Geese shit all over the place and goose skitter is nasty stuff. They do make good watch dogs. Didn't they save Rome.

Reply to
fredsmithdc

Very light, same colour as aluminium, almost impossible to cut or bend.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Naah. That went off to landfill last Wednesday.

Reply to
Huge

They used titanium for making the turbine blades for Concorde (probably others too). I knew a guy who worked on them at Filton and they used one drill bit for each hole drilled, still have a couple lurking in the workshop and they come in handy from time to time!

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

No, you want ganders for that, M8. Bit more intelligent and discriminating than their female counterparts.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Very much like stainless steel, then. Apart from the light weight...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yeah, but there are differnent grades of titanium and the lower ones aren't much tougher than mild steel.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Chap who used to race a vintage Scott reckoned he needed a bit more speed (true - my mate had one and I was forever trying to get him a bit more performance - and changing plugs, bloody 2-strokes). This chap owned a machine shop so had the facilities. He was at the race the next weekend with titanium con-rod and crankshaft. This was in the '70s and I've no idea of the price of such a chunk as would be needed for that job.

Reply to
PeterC

The piece that I have is thin sheet, fully annealed and has some irridescence. I used some to make platforms to fit inside Campag Super-Record pedals. The bends were radiused and made slowly and genty - cracks appeared after a couple of weeks.

Reply to
PeterC

You will want something off it next week.

Reply to
Nightjar