Throw away woodworking tip

Every time I see this I think how cool it is. No big deal but I just keep forgetting about it and when I see it done...

Using pocket screws for panel glue-ups.

My buddies cabinet shop rarely has to glue up panels. They mostly buy their doors and use ply otherwise. When they have need for the odd job it is always a hubub. They tried a few different things like this vertical rack made of aluminum slats, etc.

Now, if one side of the panel will be hidden, like a table top, they just run some pocket screws on each side of the glue joint, they clamp the boards lightly down to a work table, run the pocket screws in from each side and they can start using the panel right away.

No biggie, just kinda cool.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Purists might scoff, but I won't. :-) Cool tip, thanks for passing it on.

jc

Reply to
Joe

I am missing something here... ;~) Isn't that what pocket hose screws are intended for in the first place? Was that a secret that I have known about for the last 15 or so years?

Reply to
Leon

I had always seen them used for joining face frames and boxes. and stuff like that. Using them across the joint of a panel was new to me.

My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:

- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.

As I said, this is a throw away tip. If it's not useful or >

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:

- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.

Yes they do. Twice.

Reply to
CW

It's a good tip - and to add a bit of illustration, may I present a photo of my (45-minute design/construction time) main shop bench - built from 2-1/2 2x12x144 and a 2x4x120? :)

done with my (then) brand-new Kreg Jig...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

My proof points that it is somewhat uncommon are:

- All of the accessories Kreg sells are vice grips for holding down face frame type joints, etc. - The Kreg little hand held drill guides have two or three paired holes, great for face frame sticks. But no big wide jig with a few far spaced holes that would be good for a panel. - I just fast forwarded through the "Joinery 101" video on the Kreg site and the closest thing they show to a panel joint is a stave type glue up with beveled edges (near end of video). They never show a true flat panel.

As I said, this is a throw away tip. If it's not useful or insightful...

Please don't take my comment as disrespectful or a pie in the eye. ;~) Seriousely I think my very first joint, between a piece of walnut and mahogany was actually to form a small panel. IMHO it is the panel joint is the best of all possible joints. The first demo I saw years ago was the union of 2 pieces of wood on their edges. ;~) Thanks for sharing, again.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

No problemo.

I just made another discovery. Not only is a claw hammer good for driving nails, but if you turn it around, you can pull them out too!

I guess I am too easily impressed. ;^)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I just made another discovery. Not only is a claw hammer good for driving nails, but if you turn it around, you can pull them out too!

I guess I am too easily impressed. ;^)

Having 6 nailers with tails, what's a claw hammer? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And the best part, unlike with brads, you can remove them after the glue has set up. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That's the thing you use to correct the nailer errors.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

A gadget that doesn't work quite as well as "The International House Key" at removing nails.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's that thing I use to whack my thumb with on occasion in order to keep the thumb watchful and the eye in tune.

Reply to
Swingman

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:39:25 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Clarification: "on each side of the glue joint" on the _underside_ of the table, right?

Yeah, cool.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah on the underside but it might be an interesting detail on the top side.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Isn't that what those cool plugs are for? Making a contrasting statement with the plugs?

Damnit....

I guess I never saw the video...

:^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I don't use them, but there was ONE time I would have liked to use them. With table tops and cabinet doors you will see the oval hole/plug, but with a fireplace mantle the ovals will never be seen when the mantle is fastened to the wall.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:51:48 -0700 (PDT), the infamous "SonomaProducts.com" scrawled the following:

Yeah, fill it with clear resin and call it a "feature".