Networking question

In my current setup, particularly TV so that BR/DVD could do so.

Reply to
polygonum

Just the three VAXes. But four PDP-11s and the replica PDP-8s (but they are not on the network).

I can see that happening here soon.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yeah, well I'm one, too.

Reply to
Huge

Given neither of them are likely to be Gigabit, that's an example where the "cable economisers" mentioned earlier can be useful.

Some ATAs and VoIP phones do just that.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, but the 100meg switch was free. Someone else had gone gigabit.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's better than I manage somedays, which is to stand in the kitchen wondering why I'm in the kitchen.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not necessarily. One upstairs, one down and only one cable betwixt.

Reply to
Graham.

#A-nd SheWho's secret pee-cee#

Reply to
Graham.

Look for the man in black with the little red flashy light.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Add on a few media streamers, games consoles, printers, NAS boxen etc its surprising how quick you can get through ports. Looking at the management page of my 24 port switch, its only reporting 11 live connections at the moment... but I know there are not many free sockets on it either. So sometimes its just about the convenience of have the stuff connected and ready to go when you want rather than that many concurrent users.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Graham.

Exactly. And that excludes the wi-fi connections (phones, Kindles, etc.)

And Linux on my Zipit!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Whoops sorry. I was going to ask if the thin-net was still intact?

Reply to
Graham.

No thin-net here...or was that not what you meant?

Reply to
Bob Eager

noway

shewhos very prominent MAC G5

Only one windows here, and that's in a VM...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It doesn't sound like something I need now, although I find the discussion interesting.

OK.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I got turned off by the difficulty of recycling/adapting my own code (even with comments, yes) a year or two later.

I do miss the easy regex use in control structures, though.

if ($string =~ /^(\d+)\s+(\w+)\s*$/) { do_stuff_with($1, $2); }

I think that contributed to my turn-off above, even though I tried to avoid using that $_ business myself.

Reply to
Adam Funk

As I said: line noise.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Sunday 17 March 2013 17:02 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No, it's a perfectly clear regular expression.

If you can't cope with that, regexes are possibly not for you - in any language...

\d=digit character \w=word character \s=space character (space, tab etc)

  • and * have their usual meanings...

() collect the matches into $1,$2 etc

This:

Yes, it does run and it does do something tangible :¬)

Reply to
Tim Watts

OK, and I agree. Try this (I used to use it). Scroll down to the examples:

Bob Eager