Networking question

On Saturday 16 March 2013 10:35 Steve Firth wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I know how he feels. When you've got young kids, sensory overload seems to rot any notion of memory at all. The last vestiges of my brain are riddled with OpenLDAP (spit) config and kerberos/kadmin client code in perl. As I say to SWMBO, if it's not in Google Calendar, it won't happen...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You should be so lucky. SWMBO's calendar hangs in the kitchen. She won't have anything to do with electronic ones. As a result of which, we regularly get calendar clashes.

Reply to
Huge

I've been through this before. The servers are all low power (30W maximum each, one is only 15W). North facing room, the machines always stay well within spec (I run temperature monitoring). Probably the greediest one is the X-Box!

Not all the others are on all the time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

LOL, no Steve, I did see that :)

Reply to
brass monkey

On Saturday 16 March 2013 11:00 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I am:)

We actually have a number of sub calendars available on both phones and a pad. It's very nice to be able to look at the calendar, then agree something with someone else without any to-ing and fro-ing.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As others have said, switches work at a lower level than that. The management options are basic, but useful in some circumstances. You can create VPNs (for example to limit which devices can access storage or the Internet or each other). You can "team" ports so that if multiple devices try to access a resource you get better bandwidth. You can create ACLs to restrict access to specific MACs. And other stuff.

More the old fashioned way. It requires someone to walk up to the switch. Remote administration via a dedicated management port or the use of Infiniband is more typical of current day professional use.

The Dell is now IMO good for SOHO use. Professional users have moved on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

perl eh? That's a hanging matter right there.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Saturday 16 March 2013 13:12 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Name your poison, good sir!

I'm up for another religious war ;->

Perl's an enduring real man's language like C - none of yer wimpy fads and fly by night poseur stuff!

Reply to
Tim Watts

:-)

I got turned off by:

1) scripts that seemed to just contain regexps (which are just line noise to me)

2) Once when I asked a simple question in the perl ng about parameter passing, I got told to shove off as they were all too busy showing off as to who could do the most to reduce their script to just a .

3) In programming, I prefer documentation such as you get on the PHP website, rather than whimsy, such as you get in e.g. the nutshell (?) book on perl

4) for some reason, perl seems to expect you to prefix variables and arrays differently, as in $ and @, f*ck knows why

5) too much stuff can be just "left out" making the script unreadable - oh, didn't we specify what the input is? That'll be $_ then - of course silly me, that's obvious.

6) $_ and friends? WTF is that all about? You expect me to *remember* all that shit?

That do you? I'm sure I can think of other points given about a nanosecond.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I used to do a fair bit of assembly language proging, talk about sensory overload, my biggest nightmare was the damn phone ringing. I could have DJNZ'ed into the canal.

Reply to
brass monkey

Careful. You're talking about my favourite programming language.

Reply to
Huge

That's your failing, not perls.

That's a reasonable point.

PHP sucks little green toads down 50 ft of hosepipe. Mixing up presentation with program logic? Puh-lease.

Umm, no. Your problem, again.

Your problem.

Your problem.

In other words, it appears you're an incompetent idiot.

Reply to
Huge

On Saturday 16 March 2013 13:59 Huge wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reply to
Tim Watts

perl is for poofs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Took you long enough to figure that out !

Reply to
Tim Streater

Shirly most need

Blu-ray NAS boxes Security cameras Pi Wii Weather station Sky+

Reply to
dennis

See what?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Doh, LOL. That you can get'em for 60 quid. Hey, it's me who might have short term memory loss. If I go into the kitchen for 2 items, I usually return with 1.

Reply to
brass monkey

You forget Bob's background. He's probably got a couple of mainframes, half-a-dozen Vaxen, and at least one PC with every type of CPU they ever made...

Come to that I've only got two computers running here - and one of them on wifi - but I have two switches. Just because the PVR and TV both want network, and there was only one cable going there :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

yerrss. that tends to happen quite a lot in most 'evolving' networks.. wouldn't it be nice of peripherals came with a little two port switch to daisy chain em....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher