13 amp plug power meter - any recommendations?

I'm finally getting around to thinking about replacing a plasma TV (not full HD, only SD tuner) if it is too power hungry.
To do that I need to estimate the power drain over 24 hours (or even a week) and guestimate how much it is costing per year in electricity. A cost of around £100 per year (say) would be a strong case for a modern LCD screen. However as the whole house bill is around £1,000 a year this may be unlikely.
Amazon seems to have some meters around the £10-£20 mark.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) B00E4H0L40>
or
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
so will these be reasonably accurate?
Any recommendations?
I can reuse to measure various other pieces of kit, mainly computers.
Cheers
Dave R

On 26/04/18 12:54, David wrote:

trouble wih almost all 'power meters' is that they dont measure RMS power, they tend to measure VA or some approximation to RMS that falls down badly when faced with a switched mode power supply
Unless you know how they are measuring the power, be careful.

--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

The one I have (somewhere!) can be switched between power in W and power in VA, and gives the same result for a lightbulb (being resistive) but different results for anything with a switched mode power supply. That was a bog-standard meter from Maplin (RIP). It also had a setting that calculated total energy used (ie power integrated over time) in kWhr.
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 12:58:10 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

dern LCD

is may

Does that realy matter that much unless you want better than 5% accuracy an d even them you might not know how they measure your power usage does your energy supplier use RMS or average how much to they account for the phase s hift caused by SMPS in computers and TVs and most devices now. I'm not sure whether or not it matters whether it's RMS or average at this scale.
I have maplin versions at home and at work, they have always been OK for su ch things and pretty much given me the info I needed.
whisky-dave wrote:

I have a Maplin one, I don't think it claims to measure true RMS, but it does allow toggling between W and VA, it's measuring my PC's consumption now at 35W and 58VA.
n.b. that isn't on direct mains, it's between the PC and a UPS which is running in buck mode at the moment, so not likely the sineyist of sine waves.
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 14:13:56 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

So how much would you say your electric company charges you to have the PC on for say 10 hours is they charge 20p per KWh ?
As I tried to imply the accuracy isnt that important and I assume whether yuo measure true RMS, RMS, average, peak, or pk-pk a TV that measures 50W or 50VA will cost you less to run than a TV measuring 80W or 80VA.

but you can elimante these problems by using teh same test equipment and variables.
whisky-dave wrote:

Domestic electricity meters all measure Watts rather than VA, so 7p at that price.

I'd have to reboot the PC to plug it into the mains, measure and then reboot again to put it back onto the UPS ... not convenient at the moment.
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 15:07:12 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

OK I'm guess I'm lucky I have a Mac which can be swithced off and rebooted in under 2 mins. ;-)
whisky-dave wrote:

I didn't realise Macs carried on working even when switched off, now I can see why people pay extra for them ...
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 15:26:45 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

They don't but then again I don't run anything in the home from my Mac or M ac mini, or at work.

That's true people do but perhaps that's not the reason, when I came in to work 2 weeks ago there had been a power failure must have been a glithic as my Mac was still up and running most PCs had all rebooted, the server runn ing the print station stopped working and on reboot I had to phone IT to ge t them to re-inialise the server. None of the studetns could enter the buil ding as the card access system had also failed, this is a know problem in t hat if it goes off and even though it comes back on again it looses permiss ions, but everything was back up and running OK within the hour.
On other occasions I've been here in front of my mac and the lights dipped , I heard a number of studetns complain that they lost work and the PC went off, but my mac stayed on, of course this is NO reason to spend more on a Mac but it;s nice to know a small glitch won't wipe out what you're doing a s it could be something important like a game. ;-D 1 month ago we had a planned shutdown it was only then I found out that we have 219 servers in the department so I now understand why quite regularly a server or two needs taking out of service to replace or upgrade.
whisky-dave wrote:

The UPS here earns its keep ...
20 minute outage plus 10 minute outage two days ago Two outages of a few seconds this February Two outages of a few seconds last December 15 minute outage last September One outage of a few seconds last July One outage of a few seconds last May One outage of a few seconds last April One outage of a few seconds last March Log doesn't go back earlier than last February
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 16:31:48 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

The UPS, I'm not sure what six we'd need on the lab for 40-50 PCs, all I know is we aren't getting one most liklly due to cost.
The 219 servers are mostly protected by UPSs last year we had a major problem as the local electricity board cut throguh a cable the UPS switched in and there was a fire in the server room. Another incident was when there was a flood in a server room.

On 26/04/2018 16:31, Andy Burns wrote:

That is surprisingly unreliable are you on old copper overhead wires or something? I live in a rural setting and we only really lose power these days when a tree falls through the line and sometimes not even then. It is usually in the stormiest of weather than power goes down here.
Last serious time was when the bulk milk tanker mated with a power pole on a frosty morning and gouged out 10m of expensive holly hedge.
We get the odd scheduled power cut for tree maintenance in summer too.
I might miss the odd few seconds power gap here and there.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

No, underground wired to and from the substation (150m up the road) not sure how far away the nearest overhead section is.
The brief ones that I notice are generally distant lightning triggered, no idea about the long one from two days ago ... thinking about it there were three WPD landrovers parked a mile or so away when I went out after the first cut, and when I got back there'd been the second one.
On 26/04/2018 15:18, whisky-dave wrote:

Must be old to be that slow. Have you thought about getting a new one that does it in 30 seconds? Look at how much time it would save in a year, maybe ten minutes if you reboot as often as my laptop.
On 26/04/2018 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:

Since you presumably always use it in combination with the UPS why not unplug the UPS from mains interpose device and measure the PC+UPS.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 26/04/2018 15:07, Andy Burns wrote:

The win10 laptop PC I have on 24x7 monitoring my aquarium and stuff uses about £10 per year, less if it remembers to turn the screen off.
The Rpi running the remote USB sensors is probably using as much. Maybe I should move the laptop and avoid the USB over wireless? All the software runs on win10 as well as the Rpi. It doesn't all run on the Rpi though.
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 16:34:48 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

What and why does it monitor an aquarium ? I used to have 3 aquariums even the shops don't use laptops for such a thing, and laptops don't seem the be st option either. This sort of thing would be ideal for a pi or arduino pro ject we ran a greenhouse equivalent a few years ago for student projects.

what sort of software is required to run or monitor an aquarium ?
On 26/04/2018 16:55, whisky-dave wrote:

Sensors that measure light, temp, NO3, Ph, etc.

Stuff thats written to use the sensors, it runs on windows and uploads to a web site and sends SMS messages if something goes wrong.
If you have a few hundred quids worth of fish you might want to know when things are going wrong well before they die.
On Thursday, 26 April 2018 17:23:13 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

Not NO3 pressure and humidity too, there;s one on the lab running now not s ure what he's doing but this version involves pumping water about, I had to corden it off this moring as we had a repeat lab on which I wasnlt expecti ng to happen.

So idea sort of thinmg for a Rpi running a PC 24/7 to do this seems over ki ll I had 3 aquariums once I didn't need a PC to run them. Although it would make an interesting student project but I think we'd expe ct them to use some for of embeded system rather than a PC.

True but I don't think a PC will alter that much. People have kept fish far longer than PCs have existed, so it's quite possi le to look after such fish without a PC. I've yet to see an aquarium shop u se such a system. I alo think that what's usedc in aquaruims such as heaters, filters, airpum ps, lights are all far more relible than the average PC, which means I;d be more worried about a PC crashing than a heater failing.