Need to remove some electrics

Perhaps the first rule for safe working on electrics is never *ever* assume anything. What looks logical to you is almost certainly not obvious to the person who installed it. So always check and re-check any circuit before working on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anyone remember that daytime BBC film about electrical safety (from the 60s?) and it's associated mnemonic; SIDE

Switch off Isolate Dump (any capacitors) Earth

*Then* you can touch it...
Reply to
Huge

FWIR and if I'm thinking of the right one, it was very tense, on a par with Psycho.

Someone working inside a transmitter or somesuch that was still live/charged up.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Essential with high voltage capacitors. They have a peculiar property of being able to partially recharge after being discharged - due to stresses in the materials.

Reply to
dom

The message from Huge contains these words:

With CRT tubes it's important to keep it earthed or at least discharge it again later. I've several times [1] had quite a belt from a tube that I know has been discharged. I suspect it only discharges part of the tube, the remaining charge then spreads out into the discharged area and bites you all over again.

[1] OK, so I'm a slow learner!
Reply to
Guy King

heh. Its a peculiarity of dielectric materials, they do self recharge to some extent. Well behaved dielectrics are one of the requirements for most caps in tronics, but CRTs are not made with that in mind, and behave badly in this respect. I did once get a look at the physics explanation of it, but dont have a clue what it was.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for the input, I switched the electrics off and took the covers off. The boiler elements of the electrics had all been removed, and the FCU was just connected to the 3 pin socket next to it as a spur. It was really that simple. I love it when a plan comes together. I really thought i was going to be faced with a mountain of wires and a huge bill from a sparky!!

Paul

b Owa> > I have a recess that my fridge freezer sits in.

Reply to
Paul_UK