need to power cycle modem remotely

I'll replace the PSU then. Cheers.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In article <20190129233709.3e1fa9b8@Mars>, Rob Morley snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com scribeth thus

Well it will tell you that its getting no response from the other end but you then have to go to the other end to reboot restart the equipment there;(

They don't seem to be that dependable from what i gather..

Reply to
tony sayer

Eh? I was talking about two machines right next to each other, checking and rebooting each other as well as the internet connection. Odds are that even if they are unreliable they won't fail at the same time, particularly if you run different software on each and put some thought into providing a clean power supply.

I've had some running without a problem for months, recording video from their dedicated cameras and making it available on the LAN.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just had that discussion on one of the sci groups.

The Pi can have uptimes of years if:

-- the power supply is good, i.e. not the cheapest wall wart.

-- the SD card is good quality,

-- and the SD card is either read-only, or the Pi is configured to minimize writes to the card (i.e. logfiles to a RAMdisk not SD, etc.)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Maplin used to have a telephone operated mains adaptor. I've got one, but I gave up using it when I gave up my second telephone line, because I preferred to have an answering machine. Perhaps that is not so much of a priority now everyone has a mobile phone. But I have forgotten its operating PIN, even how many digits it had.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

In article <20190130150400.25ee3a03@Mars>, Rob Morley snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com scribeth thus

Well not the system I'd use and we do have some remote systems that are a pig to get to sometimes, raspberry Pi's aren't in our toolbox!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Years?, have they been around that long then?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I looked up the thread, and there was mention of "thousands" used as controllers for ham radio relays, bothe headless and touch, also a single early RasPi ("probably a RasPi 1B+") running for 3 years continuous uptime.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer