need to power cycle modem remotely

Could your problem be caused by sudden dips in the mains voltage (brown outs)? I often used to find that my modem needed a power reset in the morning. I bought a UPS and fed the modem from that - problem solved.

Reply to
charles

Sonoff would be good, hack it to ping an external site and turn off and on if it can't ping to reset the router.

Reply to
invalid

invalid

Err, if you are going to do that, it will then go through its power up test and nozzle cleaning routine. In which case, why not just switch it off when you aren't using it ?.

Reply to
Andrew

+1

I run my fridge with a Smiths electronic timer since the electro-mech. thermostat failed (don't ask).

Every 3 to 4 days all the settings would be lost and it would not run. The time that this event occurred was randomly through the day, sometimes occurring many hours before I realised.

Eventually I plugged the Smiths timer into an ex BT surge protector that came out of a redundant exchange. It has never lost its settings since.

Quite what this surge protector is filtering out I cannot say. Would other peoples baby alarms or mains ethernet adapters affect it ?.

My Smiths electronic immersion heater timer never loses its settings but it is UK made, while the 3-pin plug in variety is Chinese.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah, that seems easy - get a small computer (Raspberry Pi Zero) to ping somewhere reliable like google.com, and if it fails for a few minutes at a time it can operate a relay to interrupt power to the modem.

Reply to
Rob Morley

+1
Reply to
mm0fmf

invalid

Because then the nozzles *do* clog.

I inherited it from a former job (as with most printers :) ). When it finally dies or gets too expensive I'll be in the market for a printer which can do 12 sheets a year without incident.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And that will generally only need to be a 12V relay, not mains.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that wont work if its gone flat on its face and needs to be rebooted for that reason.

Reply to
2987fr

No deathdapter involved.

Reply to
2987fr

He's behind you ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's a good point I hadn't considered, but worthwhile if the user is concerned about remotely (and blindly) switching mains voltage.

Reply to
Rob Morley

But if I were to take that path I already have a spare ESP8266 with on-board relay, and a few power supplies kicking around. I think I have an original RPi Zero somewhere too - I'd rather used wired networking for this job.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Have you tried a new wallwart (if that's what powers it)? I find that the light-weight switch mode ones tend to go flakey after a while. In the case of my modem the symptom is that LAN connections between local computers etc. work fine but the internet connection keeps dropping out. My theory is that the modem needs the full 12v which the PSU struggles to provide but the router portion drops it to 5V through a stabiliser.

Chris

Reply to
ggroups

But a local device running if this then that could when no longer able to ping the outside world force power cycling of the router.

Other brands are available.

From time to time I have found mine gets into a state where the noise margin in one direction is "0" but it still thinks it has valid sync. It is a bit annoying that the error seconds visibly count up in realtime but the thing isn't smart enough to reboot itself. My line does have some issues being a rural overhead one with trees and an underground section that is quite often flooded.

That won't work if the outside world has vanished. The reason for wanting to do it is that the router has stopped routing.

A crude time clock to cycle the power at 1am is the cheapest option.

Reply to
Martin Brown

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Graham. snipped-for-privacy@mail.com scribeth thus

Some routers have that built in but if your need is now then use one of these.

We use them to remote control some equipment they work as;

Ring line -> unit answers -> enter access code -> unit blips "go ahead" and then use *1# to turn relay One on, and *2# relay Two on etc. and use #1# 2,3,4 to turn each relay off, all can be set to on or off at once.

Works very well indeed.

Thats the 4 way one, they do it seems supply single ones now.

tony sayer

In article <20190128165722.46e72de5@Mars>, Rob Morley snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com scribeth thus

Thats if the bloody Pi stays up !...

Reply to
tony sayer

What you do is get a Pi to ping it, and power cycle it if it dies ... in fact you could have them pinging each other.

Reply to
Rob Morley