Mystery item arrives

A hire van came this morning and the young man gave me a small package. The package had the curved arrow logo on it (Amazon presumably). There was absolutely no cover note, invoice, or anything else in the package. It was correctly addressed with my name etc, and looked exactly like any other Amazon parcel. It contained a thing called "Any Sharp, The World's best knife sharpener." This small light thing is on the internet priced at £8.00 from Amazon and £5.99 from Kitchen Knives. I haven't ordered this or anything similar. There's no clue on my bank statements. I've asked my family and no-one knows anything about it. Today is my birthday. Could that be anything to do with it? Could it be that Mr Bezos heard that it was my birthday and decided to send me a small token of his esteem?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

There is a possibility that someone has got hold of the details of one of your credit cards and ordered this on it, perhaps just to see if the details are valid before going for a larger order. It might be sensible to check your accounts after a day or two. This is what happened to me a few years ago, and the total came to nearly £2000 by the time the purchases had appeared on a statement. I got refunded by the card company eventually, but it took some time and effort, and of course I had to get a new card issued with a different number.

Or it could be that you have an unknown admirer, given that you say that it's your birthday.

Reply to
Clive Page

Alternatively, it could be this, in which case no need to worry:

Clive Page

Thanks for those responses Clive.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No but somebody else could have and either forgotten to let you know or its lost in the post, but a bit of bizarre thing to buy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I find though on amazons site actually browsing reviews is very time consuming, and hardly worth it for small value purchases. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Maybe someone thinks you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

ouch.... razor sharp wit and such cutting remarks!

Reply to
SH

That probably does not matter to the person doing the fake reviews. The fact that they are racking up sales and reviews will mean they appear to be more popular, and so get more heavily promoted by the algorithms to new buyers.

Reply to
John Rumm

That could be it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Something like this happened here a couple of years ago when an Amazon driver turned up with an unexpected package addressed to just "Terry & Scribbles" - no surname but correct address and postcode.

It was a box of 100 disposable nitrile gloves, size Large. No paperwork, no clue as to why we'd got them; we certainly hadn't ordered them and it was nobody's birthday.

A little while before this, Terry had been wearing elastic support socks, prescribed by his GP and these were much easier to put on and remove while wearing disposable gloves. However, use of the socks had been discontinued and, anyway, neither of us could recall mentioning the matter to anyone who a) might have thought a gift of gloves would be helpful and b) didn't know us sufficiently well to include our surname. We hoped that, sooner or later, the donor might ask in passing if the gloves had arrived safely so that then we would know who to thank but that didn't happen.

Curious, I looked up the gloves on Amazon's site and found only one supplier of that brand, an import/export company based at an address under a railway arch in East London. They had no website but I found a land-line phone number and rang it several times but it was never answered.

I tried raising an email query via Amazon to discover who'd placed the order. This was never answered either - I suspect because to actually give me the information would probably be a breach of GDPR.

Eventually, I decided life is too short to fret over a box of disposable gloves and they -have- come in useful a few times when I administer the cat's flea and roundworm drops.

By now, I hope the OP has probably discovered which of his friends or relations wanted to give his birthday a bit of an edge ... IGMC

Reply to
Scribbles

Was there a receipt (credit card bill, etc) in *your* name within the package?

The Amazon site asks whether an item being ordered is "a gift" and I understand that ticking that box allows the buyer to specify a delivery name and address other than the customer's home address as already known to Amazon.

I assume (never having ticked the box) that a receipt would not be included in the package sent to the gift's recipient.

Reply to
JNugent

Absolutely nothing else in the package. The box of gloves was sealed in a grey plastic bag for transit. I shook out the bag and then turned it inside out in the hope of finding a clue.

Reply to
Scribbles

That sounds like a gift!

Reply to
JNugent

The accompanying Cocaine had already been removed along the line ??

Reply to
Andrew

Now that would have been a gift not to be sniffed at.

Reply to
Scribbles

Talking to my neighbour earlier and someone he knows has a Jack Russell which suddenly developed wierd symptoms after a walk where the dog was off his lead and scavenging all around.

Owner took him to the vet who immediately diagnosed 'Cocaine' ??!!, and said this happens frequently. Dog was put on a drip and given some sort of antidote.

Has anyone else heard of this ?.

Reply to
Andrew

There was no paperwork whatsoever.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com writes

I received something similar a few days (18th) ago, via Hermes. A keyboard, price new 80-100 pounds, and I have no idea where it came from, or why. Keyboard is in usual manufacturer box, posted in that horrible semi sticky black wrap around plastic, with what looked like a home printed Hermes label, with my name and address.

It is a Mac keyboard, and I just assumed my son had ordered it. He does that, being away at uni, and he has a Mac. No, not him. Unfortunately, after assuming the KB was for son, I removed and shredded the label, and binned the wrapping. No paperwork inside. I have been watching credit card and bank accounts very carefully, and no unknown debits have appeared.

Most odd.

Reply to
Graeme

The only thing that option does is to allow you to supply a message for the recipient which will be included on a slip of paper inside the package, it has nothing to do with supplying a delivery address..

You can specify a different delivery address for any order you place, regardless of whether you mark it as a gift or not.

Incidentally I've never had any form of receipt or cover note inside any items I've recently purchased from Amazon.

Reply to
Mike Clarke