Toolstation mystery item

Anyone have any ideas what this is for?

Matt

'The hot rod jig is used for routing out grooves to fit hotrods.'

Of course knowing what a hot rod is a different thing. Here's a picture.

yes it did take a bit of googling to find this!

Reply to
deckertim

Router a groove in a worktop ,fit in the metal hotrod .That allows you to sit hot pans on top .? Yes No. ?

Reply to
Stuart

But whats a hot rod for?

The only hot rod I know has four wheels and turbo engine. ;)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from Matt contains these words:

It's to guide you when cutting grooves into a worktop into which to sit trendy metal bars for people who can't stand the sight of a trivet by their stove.

They're probably wonderful, but in our house the grooves would fill up with gunge too quickly and the kids would wander off using the bars as Captain Underpants' Destructo-Deth Wallopers.

Reply to
Guy King

a) sitting hot pans on without burning the worktop b) taking more of the customers money for nothing of much value c) letting water into the worktop's chipboard core, causing swelling, splitting and rot d) and thus taking more of the customers money due to the need for a new worktop after just 2 years

NT

Reply to
meow2222

50sobs for the template jesus! where do they dig these prices up, a lucky dip bag?

A line drawn on the worktop, a straight edge,and 1/2" oval cutter in the router.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's assuming it's a flat worktop. People who have hotrods might also have wavytops.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The message from Mike Barnes contains these words:

I've never seen them. Got a link?

Reply to
Guy King

No, sorry, I made it up. But they'll be out there somewhere, I feel sure.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If the hotrod makers were not aiming at the muppet market the rods would be attached to the surface using impact adhesive. And would cost =A32 each.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You take first prize. I googled for quite a few minutes and found nothing, then again I didn't know *what* I was looking for :-)

Only to be used with solid worktops presumably ;-)

Reply to
Matt

.....and the glue would fail after a few hot pans were rested on the hot rods.

Reply to
Matt

The message from Mike Barnes contains these words:

Register the design now!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Matt contains these words:

Seemingly not, amazingly people use them with chiptops - which is going to be fun once the water gets in. I bet they don't seal them properly - in fact I'm not sure you could reliably seal them properly.

Reply to
Guy King

I thought a hot rod was one of these :-)

The Medway Handyman

ok, im not sure which then but there is presumably something that would be robust enough. Some of the marine adhesives are pretty impressive. I'd rather see rods come unstuck 4 years later than have a ruined worktop.

NT

Reply to
meow2222