Myford ML8 wood lathe: chuck?

Hello all.

Just acquired a Myford ML8 as my first lathe (never used a lathe before). I t came with face plates and the spiky end to the headstock centre, but no c huck.

How important/useful is a chuck on a wood lathe? I can see, based on variou s wood-turning videos, that a chuck makes the job of hollowing out a bowl a lot easier than would otherwise be the case, since you can use it to clamp a "foot" turned onto the bowl base.

Advice/thoughts on the matter appreciated.

Ant.

Reply to
anonymousrapscallion

I would have thought that for bowls and other wide stuff, the faceplate would be adequate in many cases. However for things like spindles, candlesticks etc, a chuck would be necessary.

Axminster and rutlands often have reasonable deals on chucks.

Reply to
John Rumm

To add to John's post, I might look on eBay for second hand chucks. It would make the lathe more saleable too.

Reply to
Fredxx