Myford ML8 wood lathe: chuck?

Hello all.
Just acquired a Myford ML8 as my first lathe (never used a lathe before). I t came with face plates and the spiky end to the headstock centre, but no c huck.
How important/useful is a chuck on a wood lathe? I can see, based on variou s wood-turning videos, that a chuck makes the job of hollowing out a bowl a lot easier than would otherwise be the case, since you can use it to clamp a "foot" turned onto the bowl base.
Advice/thoughts on the matter appreciated.
Ant.

I would have thought that for bowls and other wide stuff, the faceplate would be adequate in many cases. However for things like spindles, candlesticks etc, a chuck would be necessary.
Axminster and rutlands often have reasonable deals on chucks.
--
Cheers,

John.

To add to John's post, I might look on eBay for second hand chucks. It would make the lathe more saleable too.