Cheap wood lathe- new or S/H?

Hello All.
I'm considering trying my hand at wood turning (partly to address real DIY needs, but mostly for fun). I can find brand new wood turning lathes for as little as £120-£150 and I am tempted. Equally, it is commonly sa id that a high quality item purchased second hand is better than a new chea po.
Since a lathe appears to be a simple bit of kit, I'm inclined to think that a new, cheap item can't be that bad and I would avoid the risk of missing parts, or some undeclared fault, that comes with second hand purchases.
Advice/comments?
Thanks.
Ant
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes buy s/h especially as you are starting out and maybe could lose interest. maybe try and go for a private executor workshop clearance where you could pick up some to0ling for not a lot more. Consider also some sharpening grinding gear from the same sale.
On 15/01/2018 12:10, Bob Minchin wrote:

+1
Someone upgrading could also give you a useful demo