Re: Small wood turning lathe?

Tim,

I'm no expert when it come to turning.. I have an old Coronet Major - built in the 50/60s !

However if I were looking for a lathe in the sort of price range you are indicating I would look for something second hand.

There are also loads of turning clubs up and down the country and I'm sure those local to you would be only to pleased to offer advice. Maybe even know of a second had machine.

I've never had too much success with Machine Mart stuff...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

;-)

Ok ..

Good idea. As it happens I do know someone in the family who does have a big wood turning lathe but I'm not sure if he's in any clubs etc (but I can easily ask).

I sorta know what you mean .. however I have bought quite a few things from them over the years and have found most of it ok (ok, you might have to tweek it a bit but for the money etc)?

All the best and thanks Roy ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Understood.

Ok ..

I can understand how important this is from my metalworking lathe Andy (Myford ML10, concentricity and working to 'thou's' etc) but I didn't imagine it would be quite so important when working by hand and with wood etc (but I can understand one wouldn't want vibration / oscillation etc).

So howabout the "SIP Mini Wood Lathe" as per second item on:

ok (cast bed etc) for £100 all inc? Did I see mention of a brushed motor somewhere? Is this typical (ie not the same as the induction motor on my ML10?)

So is this ... (£164.48 and I can collect and easy to take back if needed). I have no real allegiance to MM though.

same as this (£142.43, free delivery (what's their support like should I need it do you know please?))

.. would you say (I don't think the are exactly the same but very close)?

Understood.

LOL .. indeed!

Yep and what I generally try and do. However, I didn't really want this to runaway too far an end up with a CNC jobby stood where the workshop used to be. ;-)

All the best and thanks Andy ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

It depends on what you are turning and with what type of material.

For practising and starting out, fairly soft wood makes it easier. (I mean soft in the sense of material property rather than species type here).

Once you begin to go for harder materials or finer work, it starts to become more of an issue.

This isn't really about going to precision of metalworking equipment, but having something that is going to feel reasonably solid will help with confidence when starting out.

It would be surprising and disappointing. Brush motors - even a small one are rather noisy, and I don't feel conducive to doing turning.

I'd probably buy the Axminster one on balance. I've always had pretty fair service from them. That is not to say never had problems. The acid test is what happens if there is an issue, and do they fix it quickly.

No, and I was mindful of that in the reply.

You could view this type of investment as an entry ticket. It may generate interest and you may find enjoyment leading to wanting to go for something bigger and better in due course. I've seen the small ones like you mentioned in use, and within their limitations can produce quite acceptable work.

A couple of additional thoughts:

- Arranging for mounting on a firm base. This is pretty important. A heavy lump on a Workmate may not be a good idea at all. A chunky wooden stand (sturdy as opposed to physically large would be a good plan.) You don't want the lathe moving when pushed against. One trick here is that a lathe stand can be filled with sand as a weight.

- Sharpening. Regular and careful sharpening of tools is key. With care, this can be done with a grinding machine, but getting a finer wheel than is typically supplied is a must. It does'nt need to be an expensive grinder, but unfortunately they come with wheels that are way too coarse.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course, but that isn't the application here.

Reply to
Andy Hall

After a lot of looking around and trying different machines, I went for a Nova DVR XP.

of the machine and results have been quite pleasing - very solid and smooth running.

I also quite liked the ability to be able to add a bed extension. This is not something I always need but has been useful for turning of some long pieces that I was doing. It can be removed when not required to reduce the footprint of the machine.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And does he/she live within daughter's bicycling distance? If so, problem sorted!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You are only cutting in one direction, and it will stall before any torsion type forces are a problem. This teaches you to properly use the cutting tools with fineness and skill. I don't have a problem with buying the best tools you can afford, just with the belief that the end result rests with the tool rather then the user's ability. You could spend £1500+ on a small microchip controlled wood turning lathe or make a pole lathe for free, which one would give you the greatest satisfaction with the finished article.

Reply to
Mark

Not sure I understand that bit Mark? Isn't it like any lathe where (generally) the job is rotating down onto the tool? Or did you mean you generally make spindles on a pole lathe so there are no side loads as when turning a bowel etc?

Like Andy H's (well, I believe that cut's out).

Oh indeed. And nothing wrong with that.

Nor me, and I *like* having nice tools, however being realistic, I would rather have a few medium spec tools for my occasional use than one very nice one for the same use?

Mostly yes, but, I believe it's easier (generally) for a novice to make a better job with some good kit than bad. A skilled person could probably do the same with both because his skills / experience allow him (or her of course) to overcome such issues.

Ah, and that's another issue altogether ;-)

Part of the reason for getting a woodworking lathe now was I believe it would help our daughter with her current GCSE design project. Her task is to produce a model of her project (a perfume bottle) and she has chosen a very curvaceous shape with a complicated 3 legged arrangement. We have considered all sorts of ideas for making said model and I though turning would provide the best symmetry and finish (as it's supposed to be made from glass). The wood can be sprayed and lacquered to give a 'glassy' finish.

She has always shown a skill with hand / power tools be it helping me service our motorbikes to building the bench for the workshop (I needed many holes drilling with the pillar drill) to MIG welding and angle grinding. Even her first go with glass engraving means we all now have personalised tumblers in the cupboard (even tho mine does say 'Baldie') ;-(

We built her dolls house when she was 7 and she was soldering at 5.

I think (with some tuition and the proper protective equipment of course) she would enjoy wood turning and the fact that she could bring that to her design project would be another feather in her cap?

Examiner: "How did you make that shape please Jenny"

Jenny: I turned it on a wood lathe at 2,000 rpm using mainly the round nosed gouge but finishing it off with progressively finer grades of glass paper and gave it the final polish using wood shavings" (or whatever). ;-)

Granted "On a pole lathe in the woods" sounds even more impressive ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Agreed, and it's not the most expensive investment in her education that you will have made.

That would depend on whether the examiner has an unkempt beard, looks as though he's slept in a hedge and has terminal body odour. If so, then a pole lathe would be a worthwhile introduction to the conversation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope, that's true enough. If she learns anything from any of it then it's money well spent.

It does sadden me slightly when I see what little 'opportunity some kids have in these enlightened (?) days to experience things. eg, Jenny's first boyfriend had never flown a power kite, been camping, paddled an inflatable dinghy in an estuary or raced an RC car at a local club (to name but a few no doubt). Luckily we had the opportunity to introduce him to all those things, he really enjoyed them and was very appreciative of having the chance to experience them with us. ;-)

Ok some of those things are (or can be) quite expensive so out of many families reach but there are also basic things (like involving yer kids in the d-i-y or cooking etc) that cost nothing extra at all.

LOL! Stereotypes eh ;-)

Funnily, we've seen a few bodgers and wood carvers at various 'outdoor' events and these days they seem to be well groomed well educated folk who make a living from said (after escaping from the rat race).

Cheers Andy ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to