corrugated plastic shed roof

I built a shed about 10 or 11 years ago with a sloped roof made of the corrugated clear plastic from Wickes. A few days ago, while putting a ladder away in the shed, I banged the roof & made an irregular hole in it. Is it worthwhile to replace the whole roof (6 or 7 panels, I think) on the grounds that the plastic has degraded in the sun over time, or should I just replace the one with the hole in it & see how it goes?

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Adam Funk expressed precisely :

Unless the clear plastic is essential, I would look at using modern box section steel roofing and replace the lot.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You might get a sense for how "brittle" the plastic has become by bending bits around the hole. IME it lasts reasonably well but is not particularly strong in impact: I've just replaced a similar roof in a lean-to under some trees; in the winter storms bits of branch an inch diameter and a couple of feet long are heavy enough to crack or puncture it. What I went for was this sort of stuff

(or just search eBay for corrugated fibreglass sheet)

which is a bit more expensive, but is much tougher.

In your case, though, I would think about just replacing the panel. Or even just gluing a bit of sheet underneath the damage. Use clear silicone from a cartridge gun, make sure there is a sealing bead all around the hole.

Reply to
newshound

I think you need to test it, but that stuff is pretty brittle to start with, so it won't have improved. I had some on a garage and it went milky white before it started to splinter. How have you secured it? I found that you need a big area to hold it down or winds tend to rip them right off if there are too small and not enough fixing points. Surely by now somebody has made a more stable plastic? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or some of that stuff they seem to make some conservatory roofs out of that seems to be one plastic that lasts. Might be overkill for a shed though! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not supposed to be affected by UV but I think it is. Some makes has to be put on the "right way up" as only one side is UV proof. I would repair it with weatherproof tape for now & see what happens. You can get clear outdoor tape (intended for tunnel greenhouses) or use Flashband.

Reply to
harry

Do you have link for an example of that?

I'll patch it for now & replace the whole roof in the spring --- it's not an enormous shed.

I like the clear plastic because it makes the inside well lit during the day, but I suppose it does subject the contents to more heat and UV exposure during the summer.

Reply to
Adam Funk

You can find it online (including Ebay) easily - just look for box profile roofing sheets.

You can also consider the version with insulation on the back - both keeping the heat out in the summer and preventing condensation for the rest of the year.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks --- googling that turned up some things that were less expensive than I'd expected.

I guess this stuff is much more durable than the clear plastic. I'm used to having natural light in the shed during the day, but I could put brighter lights inside.

Reply to
Adam Funk

You can usually buy translucent panels with the same profile to allow for natural light through part of the roof.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for the tip!