My second Plusnet bill

Costs the same as my old KCOM in Hull!

swldxer1958

As you've been billed over £16 for additional call charges, might it be worth upgrading to any-time calls? It'd only cost an extra £4 a month for anytime calls, including to mobiles.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Problem is that the Mrs spent 1hr10min to her sister in Hull on one call which used to be untimed in KCOM land, but now racked up over £10!

Reply to
swldxer1958

Skype

Reply to
Richard

I did this on Virgin, most operators offer this, however one issue seems to be that some calls for no good reason seem not to always be included. Too many different bloody number types around these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Someone should make a device you can plug into a phone which makes a beep-beep-beep noise after 55 minutes.

Or wire the phone through a clockwork runback timer.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I actually set up our Asterisk box to give 5 minute, 2 minute and 1 minute verbal warnings, before cutting off with 30 seconds to go!

Moving off the POTS line completely very soon, anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Our VM inclusive call option is only for calls of less than 60 minues duration. If yours is the same, get one of those kitchen timer things, make sure she uses it and has the alarm set to 55 minutes. If the alarm goes of, replace phone, then redial. Rinse and repeat as required!

Reply to
Terry Casey

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained on 09/03/2019 :

Buy a cheap electronic timer, which beeps after one hour. All you do then is put the phone down, then redial to continue.

I even have those I ring regularly, checking the length of my calls.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

Get a notebook and print out which calls are and are not included in the free calls. Every ISP has a list you can print out. Plusnet's package includes all the common numbers as part of the package free for

1 hour, then 2000 minutes of free calls to mobiles. I'm not sure whether the mobile calls have a 1 hour limit or not.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why on earth do you pay for calls, voicemail and then some extra for more calls (£20+/month)?

Get a £10 sim-free mobile, put one of these inside, and you can talk

24/7 for £6/month:

And it can even go with you everywhere you go if you so wish...

The only person I know in the world who pays for calls using their landline in my father in law...

Reply to
JoeJoe

I don't own a mobile phone and my wife's does not even pick up a signal in our house unless she goes upstairs. I need the landline for my laptop though.

Reply to
swldxer1958

That sounds very ludditish.

Have you checked other mobile providers?

That depends on the speed and data you truly need. There are a number of mobile contracts that can virtually match a landline, perhaps not fibre broadband though.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not really - I have never needed one for anything.

Reply to
swldxer1958

There is no need for many things. You could cook on an open fire. You could wash your clothes between rocks. You could use pen and paper instead of your laptop.

However in a modern age it is normal to have a mobile phone, in much the same way you would have a washing machine and an oven. You are of course free to live in the past.

I now use a mobile for 90% of my calls, where just a couple of calls on your sat-phone would cost as much as all mine in a month.

Reply to
Fredxx

You must be lucky and have a useable signal anywhere indoors and the places you go. Upstairs bya window on the right side of the house we have a useable mobile signal. Go 50 yds down the road there is zilch on any network.

I do have a mobile, it's setuo to automatically divert to a VOIP number when it's at home. Be aware that many mobile operators do not allow customer controlled call forwarding. even using the * codes. Being able to * code divert to voicemail doesn't mean you can * code divert to another number.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The speed available is more dependant on the network being used than contract. The contract needs to be "4G" but most are these days. Then you need to find out which networks offer useable 4G service where you want it. 4G here on EE runs at 30 Mbps+ (throughput) some what faster than the 5 Mbps maximum that the landline can provide. The line does go through a cabinet, at the exchange which is so far away they don't even market FTTC to us.

3 offer 4G, Vodfone is 3G, O2 2G!
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why DO I need a mobile phone and for what though? I have a landline for making calls and a laptop for e-mails.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Like I have always said - even as a 'phone they are next to useless, never mind for GPS and watching TV.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Here is my Plusnet speed.

swldxer1958