Purple Hull peas in NY?

Some southern folks were raving about Pinkeye Purple Hull cowpeas and I was about to place an order when I began to wonder if there was a reason I'd never grown them before.

Has anyone grown them in zone 5?

Thanks-

Jim In the Mohawk Valley just east of Schenectady

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Did the company you are ordering from give any information? Here is a locater for all of the extension offices in the country.

My seed program says that for "Black Turtle" (closest one in my listing) soil temperatures should be 60° to 75°F for planting. Started and grown outside maturity in about 56 days for fresh beans. If you want them dry add a few weeks. So, do you have a long enough growing period?

Just checked the seed packet for Black Turtle and the sowing period for your area is late May through July.

Take a chance. That is part of the fun of gardening. Order a small package and see how they work.

Reply to
The Cook