How long is is a days parking voucher valid for?

Stick a days visitors parking voucher in the windscreen at 1pm and it must be valid until 1pm the next day.

A day is 24 hours.

Reply to
ARW

No, because if you were claiming expenses you'd claim two lunches and one dinner.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ah, but is it still say, the 8th day of the month or did you go into the 'next day'?

If you turned up at Alton Towers at 3pm and bought a day ticket, would you expect to be able to stay there till 3pm the next day?

Is the parking permit marked 'valid for 24 hours' or 'one day'? ;-)

(I get the issue though).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sadly I don't think there's a general rule. Our vouchers for visitors (in residents' parking zone) are only valid for the calendar day they are activated. A clue to that is the way you scratch out the month and date. There's no way to indicate the _time_ it was activated. But as so often it comes down to what's in the fine (but legible!) print.

And it's no comfort to you that it's not just parking vouchers that can cause confusion. Transport for London sell One Day Travelcards. They're valid until 04:29 the next morning. Not good value for people who buy one in the evening and use it for just one journey.

Reply to
Robin
<snip>

Yes, so if it says you heat a meal in an oven for 20 minutes, would you do say 15 mins today and the remaining 5 the next, when you are ready to eat it? The point is that yes, whilst 'a day' is 24 hours, it isn't how many things interpret the term. A 'day ticket' for fishing is just that, valid on the day you bought it and often excluding night fishing (so would typically expire at dusk, no matter what time you bought it). Neither would you be able to claim the unused hours the next day because that's a 'different day'.

I bet I can predict the outcome. ;-)

Interesting one (that I'm sure someone here could answer from a legal viewpoint). Like is it acceptable for the police to speed and jump traffic lights whilst on a shout? (I believe the answer is 'yes', but they are still personally responsible for any repercussions they cause).

<snip>

If you weren't able to get somewhere on time because of someone parking inappropriately, would you not mind?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

A day IS 24 hours but I suspect in this case it is the 24 hours(ish) from midnight( well 0.0:00...1) to midnight( well 23.59:99...9 ) later that same day

Reply to
soup

You don't believe that.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

They can be done for dangerous driving if it is dangerous.

Ambulances and fire engines can exceed the speed limit. They are not supposed to jump red lights, etc. but I am not going to stop them.

The wife got a parking ticket recently, I got it cancelled.

I have never had a parking ticket in over 40 years of driving.

Or any other fine.

I did go through a red light in Paris once but there wasn't anyone to see it.

Reply to
dennis
<snip>

More likely the opposite, her actions were in disregard to everyone else around her.

Reply to
Fredxx

I was going to say "look at the small print" but even so, if it wasn't specified at the point of sale, nor were you drawn attention to them, then face value maybe what matters.

Is this a private car park, or a London authority car park? One will have to prove their case, the other simply say a byelaw is in place where ignorance of the law is no defence.

Reply to
Fredxx

No! Definitely a Brexit voter, doing an amble around a bent bumper on a mobile phone oblivious to the danger of vehicles she did leave capable of movement.

A blinkered, self interested dimwit, oblivious to reality and the harm she was doing.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq
<snip>

The very definition of a Remoaner, someone who thinks they know best against the tide of the populous. Someone who's never heard of democracy.

Reply to
Fredxx

Good try. Which day did you put it on the screen? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is no definition of Remoaner. I believe it has been put up as a "new word", but I wouldn't dash out to buy a copy of the Oxford just yet.

I would imagine "remoaner" is one of those stupid little soundbites used so frequently by the gutter press to avoid any dissection of the issues involved. Brexit was totally dependent on such garbage, when you are aiming at a group with the attention span of a golfish with alzheimers, it pays to coin up a few derogatory sounding words or phrases.

Anything really to stop the idiots trying to analise the facts, god forbid they might run out and buy an Independent or other newspaper.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq

The populous what (look it up, I guess you possibly/probably meant populace).

Reply to
Chris Green

Apologies, yes you are indeed correct.

Reply to
Fredxx

I had to check to see if One Day Travelcards still existed. They do, but for me they cost 30% more than the daily cap on using Contactless payment.

So why would anyone use a one day travel card?

Reply to
Paul Welsh

And starts at midnight, you just didn't use the bit of the day before you got to the car park.

Reply to
Paul Welsh

One reason is that they don't have a contactless payment card, and haven't got around to getting (or don't want to get) an Oyster card. Bear in mind contactless cards were, until very recently, rare in the USA.

Another is that people who are travelling on business and want to claim expenses may find it easier to claim for a single item evidenced by a physical Travelcard.

A variation on the benefits for business travellers is that people booking business travel with a corporate account may well be able to buy a Travelcard at the same time, all billed direct to the employer, so they don't need to claim anything at all.

There are ways around all that with business accounts with TfL but change costs and for infrequent users...

Reply to
Robin

Not everyone has a contactless payment card. Apart from uk.railway's proverbial goat-herding passenger, lots of Americans are still just catching up to chip+sign technology.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog