My first phishing text message!

I have just received a text message on my mobile, from +447535639584 requesting I go to an HMRC website to complete my yearly tax return. No doubt the form will request my bank details as part of the process.

Anyone fancy inundating the above number with messages?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Text or photos of my knob?

They are not answering my phone calls.

Reply to
ARW

In message <r5qecu$sc5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield <?.?@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk.invalid> writes

If the number has been spoofed (as often happens with emails), then you might not be popular if it turns out to be some unfortunate whose number was used.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian explained :

I have manay times come across spoofed landline numbers, but never spoofed mobile numbers.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

They are about. I got one yesterday 'from PayPal'.

Reply to
charles

Its probably not real or specially designed to charge you a bucket load of dosh. Bannish it and move on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote on 29/03/2020 :

On the contrary, its aim is to get me and/or anyone it is sent to, to send them the full details of my bank account and access codes. They use a clone of the HMRC web page, but with extras in the form. Were anyone foolish enough to do that, they would then be able to clean the account out by transferring to their own account.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Since you can spoof *any* number, why not a mobile one?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Could it be from HMRC? I got a text from Barclays once requesting that I pay Barclaycard. It was entirely correct and saved me a penalty.

Reply to
Scott

Did it give you a (possibly false) link to the website?

Reply to
Max Demian

I think any SMS or email that included a link would raise my suspicions. I had one from Barclaycard the other day doing a fraud check on valid transactions. When I gave the "OK" response my phone said "You will be charged for this text" or something similar, so I stopped at that point.

Reply to
newshound