Multi-tool Recommendations?

I'm looking to buy a Dremel or similar. Any recommendations please? Are the budget/cheapie versions comparable with the top-end? How much vibration is there when using these? I'm thinking of using it to clean up soft-fired greenware (porcelain that ain't fully fired so is still reasonably workable, but fairly fragile). I'm just wondering if they do produce too much vibration, the SFGW might shatter, or pieces splinter away.

Reply to
Wanderer

(IIRC) do the basic dremel plus a couple of basic bits for 34 quid or so.

Vibration of the workpiece isn't really much of an issue. I suspect that what you want is solid carbide burrs.

I bought a couple of these at 6 quid or so each.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Get a bottom of the range Dremel; they are much, much better than cheaper makes with more features.

One thing - when using cutoff discs, wear goggles. Always wear goggles. They break apart and hit you in the face. It hurts.

Reply to
Grunff

B&Q do a dremel clone for a few pounds. It works well for a few hours and then starts to vibrate, scream and the switch jams up.

You get what you pay for with these. Great tool though, if you pay the price. You do not have to pay the dremel price for the accessories. Search the web for them. The diamond saw blades are particularly good for small cutting jobs. Those tubular sanding disks seem to last ages and can tackle large jobs. You may find that applicable to your specific need.

I would buy a B&Q cheapie as a test and get a decent one if it works.

Reply to
EricP

If you're going to go for this type of tool, it's worth getting a decent Dremel. I've had a cheap clone in the past and the bearings don't hold up.

In the end I bought one of the Dremels with electronic speed control and it's very good. You can cut the speed right down for delicate work.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Axminster's white one is rubbish. The chuck won't grip carbide bits. Handpieces are retained on the flexi shaft by a rubber ring, which breaks after a few months.

If you're serious about wanting one of these things, bite the bullet now and buy a Foredom - despite the price.

Reply to
Andy Dingley