MS Security Essentials

Are you sure it win10 that's doing it, I haven't changed the settings for scroll bars and they are always there on the win10 built in apps but some user installed apps do hide stuff.

Of course there have been three major versions of win10 since I first installed it with another in November.

Reply to
invalid

Have you ever considered looking at Linux Mint ? I use that example specifically as it is probably one of the easiest Linux distros for a Windows user to get to grips with.

When my Win7 laptop started playing up around 5 years ago, I took the plunge after looking at Win8 and deciding I wasn't going there. I started with Ubuntu, but didn't really get on with of the interfaces (known as "desktops" in Linux-speak) on offer. The OS was on a Linux magazine DVD and came with 8 or 9 desktops. But the best thing was that it was a "live" DVD - you could boot from it, play as much as you liked with it and the programs on offer, and it wouldn't touch your hard disk unless you told it to. Everything is done from the DVD and RAM. Yes, it's a bit slow that way, but it works. After you've finished, you just eject the DVD and boot as normal next time around. Of course, if you like it, there is an option to install it on the hard disk, which I eventually did on a new laptop.

After about a year or so, I read good reviews of Linux Mint, so had a look at its live DVD. I liked it, and installed it with its "Cinnamon" desktop as a dual-boot with my old Ubuntu system as a back-up. A couple of updates later, I dumped Ubuntu completely. The main programs I use with it are those I used with Win7 - browser, email, VLC media player, text editor, password manager, pdf reader, etc. I used to use an old version of MS Office with Win7 as I absolutely hated the Ribbon interface. I eventually changed to what was then called Kingsoft office suite (now called WPS). This was - more or less - a Chinese copy of MS Office, but offered the old interface as well as the ribbon one. After moving to Mint, although there was - and is - a WPS version for Linux, I installed LibreOffice suite instead. Updating is an absolute doddle; every few days I get a notice that updates to the OS or programs are available. I can download and install or ignore as I want. I can set up the update manager to block updates of anything I don't want updated (as I did with FF and then with TB).

The only Windows program I really miss is IrfanView. It will run under Wine in Linux, but Wine, although useful for many programs which run only in Windows, brings with it all the vulnerabilities that Windows has (had? I believe that Win10 is much better in that respect). Any malware designed to attack Windows will probably run under Wine, and that will probably make your whole Linux setup vulnerable as well. To me, one of the major advantages of Linux is that although there have been viruses written to attack it, they are very rare. In fact, most Linux users have probably forgotten what antivirus software is, as they have not need to install it. As an aside, one of the most useful things is that unless you tell it otherwise on installation, the default account is a limited one. You will be able to run installed program,s but you can't install anything without entering a password to become elevated to an administrator account.

So what are the disadvantages? Well, Windows fanboiz will say "The Terminal", and that you will spend half your life keying in incomprehensible commands at something which looks like a Dos prompt, and get out an incomprehensible string of text in response. Well, I barely use the terminal, and when I do all I do is copy and paste whatever an expert in a help group tells me to, and report back what the output is. Rarely it doesn't help, and maybe I'll have to uninstall and reinstall something. One problem can be drivers, particularly for obscure hardware. Sometimes odd things might occur with printers, but the vast majority of these can be solved with help from the Linux community.

Just about everything involved with Linux is free - you can download Mint and burn it to a DVD to try it out if you don't want to lay out a fiver or so on a magazine with a "free" DVD. All it will cost you is some time.

Cue Windows trolls...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have a similar low power machine, and it doesn't do that. Something in your settings?

Reply to
GB
8<

Nothing wrong with linux as an OS, but its the apps that matter. The OS is just a layer on the hardware to run apps.

Choose your apps and run them on what's best for you, ignore OS evangelists.

I will say if the hardware can't run win10 well enough it probably can't run most Linux distros well. You can remove features from win10 and Linux if needed.

Reply to
invalid

Dunno! The W10 was installed on the computer when I bought it, so it wasn't as though I was replacing an existing Win OS. You're probably right: it was how it had been set up.

All a bit academic now as I've just given the computer to the computer guy in a local charity I volunteer with, who'll sort it out and get it doing stuff for them. In the fullness of time, when I'm feeling bold or inebriated or both, I'll have a go at installing W10 to replace W7 on my back-up computer and see how I get on.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wonder how you 'achieved' that? It's certainly not something standard in W10.

I recommend that you try a clean install of W10 on a spare machine, to see what it ought to be like.

People do things like installing Classic View, and then complain that changes made by that programme are not what they want. FWIW, Classic View was very useful with W8, but there's no real need for it in W10.

Reply to
GB

To turn off that feature (which I don't think is turned on by default):

Settings ... Ease of Access .... Switch "Automatically hide scroll bars in windows" to off.

You can type the word scroll in the Find a Setting box in settings, and it offers the above solution to you.

Reply to
GB

Yes, it's in settings>display. I changed it yesterday on a work laptop that had been re-imaged due to IT installing the wrong software then gubbing the PC when removing said software.

Reply to
mm0fmf

My work laptop has Win10 too - but since it cost 5 times as much as the home one it has no trouble. (I have no idea why it's so high powered, all I do on it is email... the Ubuntu box is my proper workstation)

If you know a way to say "check for updates once a week" or such I'm all ears.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

The simplest way to help an old laptop along with linux is to change the window manager to something lightweight. Typical defaults tend to be KDE or Gnome, but a switch to (e.g.) xfce can work wonders (I have one old laptop runing a recent Debian install, but using xfce; although for myself I prefer fvwm2 on Slackware).

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

Have you looked at the update options in Settings?

Reply to
GB

You'll get away with it for a while then other issues will arise. I'm typing this on XP - the latest browser is now unsupported and as I result there are a number of sites that will not allow access including a site on which my investments are held.

The version of camera software I want to run will only run on 64bit so it has to be on the Win7 machine, I expect that will be updated at some time and will then only run Win10.

It isn't just security that will bring your system to a halt.

Reply to
AnthonyL