Kitchen cupboard carcasses - where to buy?

Or those funky "press door in to release catch" catches for the true handleless look.... As long as you know which side to press - look for the grubby fingermarks :-)

Reply to
Jimk

The next in a long-running series of questions ... where to buy kitchen cupboard carcasses? My list so far has Howdens, B&Q (not impressed), Wickes and Screwfix - has anyone here got any recommendations (or the opposite)?

Reply to
nothanks

Diy-kitchens.com

Reply to
ben

Wren, I'd seen the tv adverts, but not bothered with them as they didn't have a local branch until recently, I popped in and was reasonably impressed

Reply to
Andy Burns

Seconded. I have not used them yet but called into their showroom earlier in the year and as suitably impressed with the quality. And, everything is individually priced instead of an arbitrary price for the whole kitchen.

Just a shame that they don't do anything true-handleless.

Reply to
Andrew May

IKEA. I've got a few of their cupboards.

Reply to
charles

I have used Wickes, SF, and Ikea... all ok IME. The SF ones came pre-assembled, which saved time, but less easy to store prior to install.

Reply to
John Rumm

FWIW for my last one I used B&Q, the quality seemed OK and they have stood up well for ten years or so, they also had a wide range of sizes and styles. I think I got the worktops there as well. But I wouldn't normally buy anything there. IME Ikea stuff is well made and good value.

Reply to
newshound

In a sense they are all chipboard, and therefore all share the same fatal flaw - they will be destroyed by damp or water. I have bought B&Q before. TW

Reply to
TimW

From the website it seems that they don't supply carcasses without doors - I'll give them a ring

Reply to
nothanks

Some are MDF now, one I recently assembled was all MDF. Still suffers from damp of course but maybe not quite as much as chipboard does.

Reply to
Chris Green

I was hoping to find a supplier with water resistant MDF or chipboard cores and a choice of melamine thickness but, so far, I haven't find any. Is there any discernible difference between the cabinets you've used?

Reply to
nothanks

It seems that they don't sell carcasses by themselves

Reply to
nothanks

That is what I want. Doors and perhaps to a lesser extent carcasses that don't mind being got wet.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Is that not just a channel screwed to the bottom or top edge of the door or do they put holes in the doors with those ugly bungs in them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Is that not just a channel screwed to the bottom or top edge of the door or do they put holes in the doors with those ugly bungs in them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Benchmarx.

Near us they are next door to Howdens, but deal with retail, which Howdens are sometimes a bit fussy about.

They have the good points of Howdens - the carcases come ready assembled and are held in stock. So you can have your units the next day, usually, and if there is a problem they can swap a unit out and have the replacement with you immediately.

A long time since I looked at B&Q but at one time you waited for 6 weeks for the delivery, and another 6 weeks to replace anything missing or damaged.

To date, pleased with both them and Howdens.

They also refund if you over order or have to change stuff. We just took back the drawer handles (too big) and bought some from Howdens next door. We expect to return a couple of decor panels for a refund as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

What do you mean by handle less?

The handless ones have moulded in "handles". The rest are flat or moulded for you to fit handles.

So if you want flat slabs you don't want to look for "handle less".

Reply to
invalid

No brian, they are moulded in the door and then finished in the same stuff as the door, or at least they are on mine.

Dove grey with the red artificial stone surfaces makes a really nice combination.

Reply to
invalid

No, I was thinking of the type where the door does not go all the way to the top of the cabinet. Instead it stops about 25mm short and there is an aluminium channel fixed across the cabinet behind. So, no handles but access to the top of the door.

Sorry Brian, hope I have explained it adequately but

for anyone who can see the pictures.

Reply to
Andrew May