Mouldy bread

I used to find that home made bread went damp and sour smelling after a few days. This started suddenly and continued after I moved house. I never found out why, but now I slice the bread and freeze it and it's fine.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not quite, it ended in 1954, and I believe the last thing rationed was sugar.

Reply to
Joe

That included sweets.

Reply to
charles

I still have my ration card, with ink stamps on the bits you bought alot easier the Hoops you have to go thro to renew a driving licence these days (;

-
Reply to
Mark

Sweets and sugar were 1953.

Meat and any remaining items were ‘54.

That said, a dairy farmer told me the Government interference in the dairy industry via the Milk Marketing Board crippled it for decades, including spin offs like cheese production.

Reply to
Brian

Or eat twice as much per day and do some vigorous exercise to burn it off.

Reply to
Andrew

I buy Cranks 'solid' wholemeal loaves and keep them on the top shelf of the fridge but sometimes they still develop blue mould after a few days

Reply to
Andrew

Some farmers have been using propionic acid for decades as a preservative. I seem to remember attachments that could be fitted to forage harvesters and combines that sprayed it into the crop being double-chopped or harvested back in the

1970's.

But there could be unintended consequences -

Andrew

coconut fat contains antifungals.

Reply to
Animal

How do you stop the frozen slices from sticking together?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Several techniques

sheets of greaseproof or baking paper? between each slice

or

freeze each slice individually, and once frozen transfer straight to a bag and put back in freezer.

Reply to
SH

No one does enough vigorous exercise to burn off twice as much.

Reply to
farter

Not found this necessary with supermarket bread although I am not trying individual slices. Shopper puts wrapped loaves in freezer. User breaks off half loaf and moves to bread bin, re-wrapping remainder for further storage. About 4 days worth of medium sliced.

Homecooked likely to be much smaller loaves and faster turnover.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

or use freezer bags to bag up each slice individually?

Reply to
SH

I love really, really fresh bread, but I don't normally consume much bread generally, so I only buy it - never tried baking it.

A large loaf can last me a month, so what I do is split a new loaf into pairs of slices, pop them in sandwich bags, and freeze them. I can then take a single slice out, or more, they can be left to self defrost in a hour, or toasted immediately via my toasters frozen bread setting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Put slices in sandwich bags, two slices at a time, two slices can be easily parted, so you can take one or both out.

I freeze many things to keep them fresh and ready for use. Bacon packs get opened, and a plastic sandwich bag zigzagged between the slices. I bought some ready-made pancakes in a chilled pack of around 8, a month ago. I'd no intention of eating them all in one session, so I opened them, and put plastic between each one, then froze the whole pack.

Yesterday, I made up what would have been a cottage pie, big enough for

  1. I split it into 5 of those aluminium dishes, with card lids, ready for the final oven cooking and froze them. I do similar with sausage casserole, chicken in cream and white wine, chicken casserole etc..

Thing is, when freezing, split things before freezing into the portion size you are likely to need to use them in.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Me neither. With sliced bread, just make sure that the slices are loose before you freeze it, and then that there's nothing pressing on it. OK, occasionally a couple of slices do stick together, but are easily prised apart with a knife. Once frozen, the slices rarely stick together.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

"Shop" sliced loaves don't seem to stick. Home made I check every two hours or so and separate them with a knife until they are completely frozen.

Reply to
Max Demian

Indeed. The human body is quite efficient in this regard and people always seem to underestimate the amount of exercise required to burn off a treat. ISTR a single chocolate Hob Nob contains enough energy to power a human to climb the Blackpool Tower. In fact it might even have been a plain one!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't have a problem with the supermarket bread. It's the bread my wife bakes and slices before freezing that have the tendency to bind together. Rather than the above solutions I wonder if putting the freshly baked sliced loaf in the fridge first then freezing might be effective. I'll suggest it. We tend to take slices out as needed, either the night before or immediately if toasting.

Reply to
AnthonyL