Bread and Compost

I like to have a fresh loaf of bread every week, but I don't always finish it. My girlfiriend *hates* to throw out the old bread, but we will never eat it.

Can I put it in the compost bin along with all the veggie and fruit waste? Okay, I know I can, but will it make decent compost?

Many thanks!

Reply to
Jim Carr

It's just another ingredient. Won't make the compost any less decent than it is already. Won't make it any more decent, either. Just rots with all the rest of the stuff.

I keep my bread in the freezer (bread from a local baker, with no preservatives). I know it's best fresh, but we don't come anywhere near eating it all before it would spoil and I hate to see it go to waste. I just haw it out a couple of slices at a time in the microwave. Not quite as good as before freezing but much better than grocery store 'brand name' breads.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Yes and Yes. I'd rather use the bread to feed the birds.

Reply to
Phisherman