What are these screw heads?

I had occasion today to adjust a gate-latch, but expected to be impeded by the unusual screw-heads that had been used to install the latch. Turned out I had a set of bits and was able to proceed.

Anyway - these are screws, not with a cross- or phillips-style head, but a hexagonal head which one might imagine could be turned with some type of Allen Key. But the sides of the hexagon, instead of being straight, are slightly curved inwards, so no Allen key is going to fit. But what ytpe of head is this?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably Torx

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Torx

HTH

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

e-torx?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks - yes I see now it says T-20 on the bit I was using.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Have you not encountered those before? They're frightfully common. Slightliy less common are the security version which has a hollow head with a centre pin. Not as effective as they used to be since the Chinese began making keys for them in millions.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not as wood screws in a gate. I was quite surprised to discover that I owned driver bits for them, though. Buggered if I know when, or why, I have these. Still, useful today though. The screws are, however, rusty so I'll prolly replace them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had to replace the thermal cut out on my tumble dryer. I had to take the thing to pieces, and ALL the screws were T20, which I thought was very sensible and convenient.

Reply to
GB

Certainly an unusual choice from years ago, but torx woodscrews are quite common now - Screwfix sell them.

Probably a better option now than Pozi or Phillips - no cam-out on difficult to remove screws.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes, having read up on them and finding I have the corresponding driver bits I'll prolly replace using them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Really quite surprised you've not come across them before, as they're pretty old. Have some on an '85 car. I like them. I reckon they 'stick' on the driver better than any other head - for replacing one in a recess, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

speshly on Vauxhalls...centre pins are the security version

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Sounds like TORX ... been used on cras for decades, now becoming popular on wood screws .... I did a big decking project all fitted with Torx head screws. Hold & drive much better than pozi or phillips

These SPAX decking screws are the Muts Nuts .... reverse thread at top pulls decking boards down tight.

rick

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Might be some confusion with *distance screws* where gripper rings under the screw head can be used to adjust the position of a board or batten. Particularly useful where battens/boards are being fixed over foam insulation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The deck screws are threaded from the tip to e.g. halfway along the shank, then there's a plain section, then the thread restarts again and continues to the head.

But the top section of thread is in the same direction, not reversed.

Reply to
Andy Burns