gate latch

Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self latch reliably and is operable from both sides?

Reply to
bof

You want a Suffolk gate latch

The Medway Handyman

latch reliably, leading to BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG and me walking out in the pissing rain and wind to latch the gate for the seventh time today.

Reply to
bof

I have installed ring handle latches and the key seems to be in the relative height of the piece on the frame. It has to be lower than you think, relative to the bar on the gate. By the bye, my preference is always for galvnised, as the black japanned finish rusts in a very short time

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Then you need to fit a spring self closing device (literally a spring which compresses when you open the gate and expands to close it) or some rising butt type hinges.

Alternatively, angle the existing hinges so that the weith of the gate causes it to self close. But this wont work against wind.

Also try filing the catch so that the latch does not jump out of it so easily.

dg

Reply to
dg

Try:

a paper lad I used to like those "C" shaped spring loaded things that pushed to one side as the gate was opened and snapped back when closed.

Re: Rusting - a wipe with an oily cloth a couple of times a year works wonders.

John

Reply to
John