mould on roof

im interested in purchasing a property. the only concern i have is a patch of green mould running down its roof directly under the chimney down to the gutter. there is also a patch of white staining whatever that might be. is this mould and white patch in themselves any great cause for concern. I have throughly inspected the inside of the house and cant see any signs of damp etc.

Reply to
dunno

Mould is black and doesn't appear on roofs. Green stuff on a roof is probably moss and is common and usually harmless.

Reply to
DIY

Ah damp roof, whole thing'll need to be redone. 'Green mould', we call that moss. Roofs do tend to get damp, it happens when those fluffy things in the sky get too big.

Reply to
visionset

green is generally lichen or other plant life, not really mould. Can also be copper stinaing.

White streaks on roofs are commonly staining from lead flashing.

Both are harmless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Could be bird shit - get a shot gun

cheers Norman

Reply to
normanwisdom

The green mould is probably lichen, this is normal around chimney's with an aerial attached. The white stain is probably from the Lead flashing. Nothing to get worried about.

Reply to
keith_765