motion sensing bulb adapter?

Hi,

I'm looking for a bayonet-shaped motion sensor that then takes a bulb. Is there such a thing? If so, where can I get it? Google is failing me..though I'm sure I saw one some time.

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

This kind of thing works with sound rather than motion

{B16CD5AA-B2AB-45D9-9DB3-25CA84D67C3A}

Reply to
Steven Campbell

{B16CD5AA-B2AB-45D9-9DB3-25CA84D67C3A}Is this the kind of thing
it is in the US

Reply to
Steven Campbell

CPC do a domed light fitting with the motion sensor built in invisibly behind the glass dome. It comes up in their special offer leaflets quite often.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

{B16CD5AA-B2AB-45D9-9DB3-25CA84D67C3A}>> Is this the kind of thing
Unfortunately it is in the US

Yep, those are just the kind of things I'm thinking of..though I'd really need it to fit in a shaded candle fitting. I wonder how sensitive the sound one is? Doesn't sound ideal if you can actually sneak past it!

Reply to
chandy

Not sure what you mean by "shaded candle fitting".

I had one of those 'listening lights' from Lidl; Uni-Com makers name on it. Yes, I could have sneaked by it. In fact, two years after it failed (*), I still have the additional eccentric behaviour of knocking on the door or coughing or speaking to the light fitting as I enter the hall when dark.

The door bell sound switched it; also any low pitched sound like a car door opening in the street; even the gate opening --- so very useful.

(*) as reported here about two years ago, after one year or so of use, one day it changed to thinking that it was dark all the time (should operate only when 'dark', there is a light sensor); I had another of the same, unused; when fitted it stayed switched on all the time. I never did find out what was wrong - it's hard to conclude that both were duff, and in different ways.

Incidentally, further paranoia and an attempted break-in at the back of the house drove me to buying a Cougar brand (B&Q, 50 pdsish) external battery operated PIR movement sensor that is wirelessly linked to (i) a chime, (ii) a light fitting that looks rather like the sound activated device mentioned above. Rather neat I think, a beeping sound and a light going on upstairs might deter some intruders? In any case, it's a relief for me while I'm in the house. Battery life is surprisingly good: three AAs in the external PIR have lasted a year so far; three AAs in the chime lasted about ten months. Alarms from cats were initially a problem, but some netting eventually persuaded them away from their traditional paths. Recently I have added an additional PIR (~ 25 pds) at the front - with minimal setup that links with the same internal units. OTOH, I could image the chime being rather annoying in a more populous household than mine is.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
jg.campbell.ng

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Not sure what you mean by "shaded candle fitting".

As you guys appear to be quite the experts on all this, maybe it would be better to actually define what I want to do and see what you suggest.

I live in a flat with a landing light outside what is our front door. The door is mostly glass so a lot of light comes into the house when it's on. All the landing lights are currently on a timer and so are on all the time at night. The light is one of those four glass panel hanging affairs as you would maybe fit in a living room.

What I really want is for the light to only come on when it really needs to, i.e., if it thinks someone or something is there, and I don't want to make modifications to the timing system itself.

Chandy

Reply to
chandy

(a) blackout blind over door

(b) replace door with something that meets fire regulations ;-)

I don't think adding a motion detector lampholder would help; many of them have an initial switch-on-off pattern to set or override them and they would reset every time the stair timer changes over.

Owain

Reply to
Owain