mothers should look after their kids

when my parents married in the late 40's my father said if my mother went out to work he was coming in....what happened?...why are so many wummin working?....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

why are schools used as baby sitters?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

People demand much more out of life, more holidays, more expensive holidays, nicer more expensive homes with all the gadgets, nice cars. These things have to be paid for, so both parters tend to have to go out to work to pay for them. With both working, there is no one home to look after the kids.

Kids also tend to need much more supervision now and molly coddling now, than back in the day. Both of my parents worked from the time I became responsible enough to be given a key to the door and like so many, I was left to get on with it until my parents got home from work. I survived just fine - teachers having support kids out of hours just would not have happened.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

  1. to pay off the mortgage
  2. Because a lot of them want to.
Reply to
charles

Due to the high cost of living renting and buying houses and flats, same as usual, also, in the land of plenty and equality, if the different sexes both want to work, and they can pay for child care then let them, its more work for more people. Its called growth in the economy. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Why are houses twice as expensive as they were in the 1950s in relative termw? Because all women go out to work...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Err, have you looked at the costs of buying or renting recently? For perhaps the majority, these are now greater than one income can cover.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another Turnip fact - plucked out of thin air.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

BR & PP have restricted new builds and driven up costs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It does fit with simple economics; with a scarce commodity that everyone wants then the price goes up to what enough people can afford to get all the houses sold; and with women working that makes the price twice as high as it would be if only one in each household worked.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Indeed. But in the third world where there are no (enforced) BR then quite a lot of buildings fall down.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I didn't invent it. An American economist did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some BR are important. But today's UK BR also include a lot that is not, unnecessarily increasing costs. Same with MOTs. When such things are set up here there seems to be no power balance, mission creep, and to some extent loss of plot.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The price of houses depends on what people are prepared to pay/afford. Shortage. Caused by migrants, It only takes a small shortfall in life's essentials to cause a huge price rise.

Don't you know anything?

Reply to
harry

Wrong. Builders have restricted supply so they can make big profits. They have lots of permissions granted.

Plus they import cheap cowboy builders from Poland to do the work and so make even more money.

Reply to
harry

Suggest you tell Turnip this, then. But then you racists do tend to stick together. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. Why can't they use our very own cowboy builders?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In those days, father's income was sufficient. But then in the 60's many young couples both went out to work to be able to afford a mortgage. As soon as that happened estate agents quickly doubled house prices, so today both parents have to work.

Reply to
Dave W

It's not plucked out of thin air. I am old enough to see it happen in the 60's

Reply to
Dave W

I deduce that you are younger than 60.

Reply to