MOT advisory

The Peugeot 508 RXH I drive for work recently had its first MOT. I was intrigued by the one advisory returned "Under trays fitted to vehicle"
Mike
On 19/07/2018 08:29, Muddymike wrote:

That's not an uncommon one. It means "my view of some components was restricted because of undertrays".
On 19/07/2018 08:41, Chris Bartram wrote:

So what happens when the car starts rusting above the under trays?
Mike
Muddymike pretended :

Tough - they are not allowed to disassemble to inspect..
On 19/07/2018 09:12, Muddymike wrote:

You die in a crash but the MOT tester has covered his ass.

He's actually covered his arse.

the undertrays collect the rust flakes so you know nothing about it.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 19/07/2018 09:42, charles wrote:

In my experience, a lot of backstreet garages, when they need to take them off to do any work, they never replace them.
Or worse still, damage them, lose some of the fixings and only half fix so that it falls off when you go through a pothole or over a speed bump.
On 19/07/2018 15:35, Andrew wrote:

I've had my car since a year old.
15 years on I found out there was supposed to be an undertray under the engine. There never has been. Main dealer serviced only up to that point... it's not just the backstreet boys.
Andy
On 23/07/2018 21:45, Vir Campestris wrote:

Indeed. Neighbours SIL bought an 06 Insignia in 2011. first owner was Enterprise car rentals and the sevice book showed full service by a Vauxhall main agent in Slough and indicated that plugs and air filter had been replaced at correct mileage. .... except that the air-cleaner and the pollen filter were almost black with shite and both had manufacturing dates of early 2006 which means they were the originals from new. !!
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 22:08:22 +0100, Andrew

A mate used to take on quite a few company vehicles in his garage if they kept them on after the warranty period.
They were all typically 'stamped up' with the right service stamps from the main dealer but it was obvious many things had never been checked / adjusted / replaced.
Cheers, T i m
On 23/07/2018 21:45, Vir Campestris wrote:

Some years ago I had a Seat Ibiza - the first model produced entirely under VW control. I damaged the undertray in a flood, and the dealer, when i asked about the (not insgnicant) cost of a new one , they said "don't bother, we take them off the high-mileage Inca (VW Caddy) vans because all the fixings wear out with all the oil changes", so I didn't bother, but now personally I'd rather have them for the dirt and noise reduction.
On 19/07/2018 08:41, Chris Bartram wrote:

What if a farmer takes his landy in after driving cross country and through plenty of cowshit ?.
On 19/07/2018 15:32, Andrew wrote:

They can fail a dirty vehicle.

Fark, just as well I don’t live there. Mine is usually the dirtiest in town and even the cops have a smirk and a snide remark when they do a breath test, usually the women cops.

The MOT is allowed to hose that off to get a good look at what is under it. They arent allowed to dismantle the car to get a good look at what is under the bits they remove to get a good look.
Muddymike wrote:

I think it's like the 'child seat fitted' one that I get, meaning they are unable to check one of the seat belts.