MOT advisory

The Peugeot 508 RXH I drive for work recently had its first MOT. I was intrigued by the one advisory returned "Under trays fitted to vehicle"

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

That's not an uncommon one. It means "my view of some components was restricted because of undertrays".

Reply to
Chris Bartram

So what happens when the car starts rusting above the under trays?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Muddymike pretended :

Tough - they are not allowed to disassemble to inspect..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You die in a crash but the MOT tester has covered his ass.

Reply to
dennis

the undertrays collect the rust flakes so you know nothing about it.

Reply to
charles

I think it's like the 'child seat fitted' one that I get, meaning they are unable to check one of the seat belts.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

What if a farmer takes his landy in after driving cross country and through plenty of cowshit ?.

Reply to
Andrew

In my experience, a lot of backstreet garages, when they need to take them off to do any work, they never replace them.

Or worse still, damage them, lose some of the fixings and only half fix so that it falls off when you go through a pothole or over a speed bump.

Reply to
Andrew

They can fail a dirty vehicle.

Reply to
dennis

I've had my car since a year old.

15 years on I found out there was supposed to be an undertray under the engine. There never has been. Main dealer serviced only up to that point... it's not just the backstreet boys.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Indeed. Neighbours SIL bought an 06 Insignia in 2011. first owner was Enterprise car rentals and the sevice book showed full service by a Vauxhall main agent in Slough and indicated that plugs and air filter had been replaced at correct mileage. .... except that the air-cleaner and the pollen filter were almost black with s**te and both had manufacturing dates of early 2006 which means they were the originals from new. !!

Reply to
Andrew

A mate used to take on quite a few company vehicles in his garage if they kept them on after the warranty period.

They were all typically 'stamped up' with the right service stamps from the main dealer but it was obvious many things had never been checked / adjusted / replaced.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some years ago I had a Seat Ibiza - the first model produced entirely under VW control. I damaged the undertray in a flood, and the dealer, when i asked about the (not insgnicant) cost of a new one , they said "don't bother, we take them off the high-mileage Inca (VW Caddy) vans because all the fixings wear out with all the oil changes", so I didn't bother, but now personally I'd rather have them for the dirt and noise reduction.

Reply to
Chris Bartram