Mortar Rake

Hi

I have a fair amount of repointing to do on a garden wall and I've spotted these mortar rakes

which fit a

115mm angle grinder.

Any good?

They all seem to rely on using a guide plate at about £30? Is that necessary?

Could I just use a disc instead?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

A hammer and plugging chisel is pretty fast, and the clearing up is localised rather than all over the neighbourhood. If you need power to remove the mortar, possibly it doesn't need removing.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You will need a guide plate for a mortar rake as they are almos impossible to control without one.

You could use a disk in an angle grinder but you will need some dus masks and eye protection as it flies all over the place. Diamond tippe disks are preferred and far safer than abrasive disks!

Good luc

-- weekendwarrior

Reply to
weekendwarrior

They are BRILLIANT! The guide plate has an adaptor stub for connecting to a vacuum cleaner, which is how I use it. No mess, no bother. A disc comes nowhere near for accuracy, cleanliness, safety and speed.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit