Covers for halogen downlighters?

I fitted some downlighters over the weekend and noticed the requirements for keeping them uncovered - do I need to build a box over them, or use a plantpot, or ... ?

Reply to
Dave

...or google this newsgroup for these a zillion and one other methods (this topic comes up regularly)

Davud

Reply to
Lobster

ceramic plant pots are a common solution, or if you have money to burn, or some stringent requirements regarding fire regulations then get some fire hoods from screwfix

David M

Thanks, there's a surprising amount of controversy for something that looks simple and the price of the intumescent covers is ridiculous.

The most straightforward answer seems to be to make a plasterboard box by glueing two 180mm high bits of plasterboard between the joists and adding a 3rd over the top. One of the lights is slightly nearer a joist than intended :( so I'll stick some scrumpled aluminium foil to the side of the joist.

Reply to
Dave

I'd not even put a top on, or add one which covered only part of the area "enclosed" by the sides, to encourage air circulation...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba