More washing machine assistance sought

Hi, Following the extremely useful advice I received earlier this week regarding repairs to my AEG washer-drier (ongoing) I am now looking for some help with the Hotpoint in the flat we let. I hope I'm not asking too much...

The machine is a Hotpoint 9934 washer-dryer (about 15 years old?) and has recently begun to damage some clothes that are washed in it (damage occurs before the dryer cycle). It appears to me that the damage is caused by items getting caught in the door/drum gap and chafed to destruction. Sturdy clothes don't seem to be affected, lighter fabrics are.

I cannot see any specific catches, cracks or other likely places for things to get stuck, and therefore suspect that the suspension may be getting tired, resulting in a bigger-than-designed gap appearing between the door and the drum as the motor spins up the drum. My theory is that this gap may catch some thinner items. I base this on the drum feeling more springy than I remember in the past.

Can anyone advise if this is a likely failure? Or suggest an alternative explanation?

I can't see any broken suspension parts- the tub seems to sit on two near- vertical assemblies that look like shock absorbers and has two modest springs at the top to centre it fore-and-aft. These springs have worn into their mountings by 2-3mm, and may have lost tension over the years.

Any thoughts? The shock-thingys look like they'd be a metric b**** to replace...!

Cheers, W.

Reply to
William Warburton

Replace the machine now Sir, and don't spend money on trying to repair it, as it's most definitely not worth the trouble. Once the machine begins damaging clothes, it becomes a suck it and see scenario in trying to find what the cause is. Believe me, I know. We went through nearly six months of damaged stuff after a friend in the appliance repair trade said he could fix it. In the end, we got rid of the machine, and the friend, and all was well in the laundry again. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop