Modern locks are a pest

I never lose keys.

It doesn't false trigger. I made sure of that.

Reply to
Xeno

I do that but in all my years of home ownership I have never had to use it. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s we never even locked our house, even when we went away. I never owned a house key until I moved out of home and rented in the city. New experience, that was.

Reply to
Xeno

A ditch digger is more intelligent than a mechanic. Or someone who can't spell "arse". An ass is a

Commander Kinsey

My point exactly, why pick the lock when you can break down the large surface area?

Force doesn't need access. Picking needs access.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I do not maintain my bicycle. I bought it in the 90s. I replace things that have worn out. The chain once, the brakes twice., the brake and gear cables once.

Things should be designed properly.

Many thousands of miles.

They still had warning lights. I have never maintained a car. You spend more on servicing than repairs.

I've never had a car with such a light.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have never had a car fail due to lack of oil.

Since you childishly repeat yourself, so will I: I have never had a car fail due to lack of oil.

You're missing he point. Why have the light if it warns you after the problem occurred?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So your bicycle spends most of its life hanging up in your shed then.

Everything has a *design life*.

Not yours, it's always *parked*.

All cars have a light or a gauge, sometimes both. The warning light catches one's attention much more readily than a gauge dropping to zero.

Reply to
Xeno

The topic in question, in case it has slipped your mind, was mechanical contrivances, in this case - locks. Your usual sideshift isn't working.

Reply to
Xeno

Herein is where Rod loses the point.

Reply to
Xeno

I was surprised that my late-1990s Peugeot 306 had an oil level gauge. OK it was the Meridian model which was possibly top of the range special edition (it had half-leather seats and maybe some other things that wouldn't be found on a standard model), but even so it was unexpected.

Obviously it only gives a sensible reading *before* the engine is running, and the needle returned to zero as soon as the engine was started. I got into the habit of adding it to the normal "cockpit drill" - checking fuel level, that ignition and oil pressure lights come on and then go out once the engine is started, that gear lever is in neutral (or else clutch is pressed) before starting - that you do automatically whenever you are about to set off.

Reply to
NY

Agreed, but why put a 7 point lock on them? To protect the frame?

The other thing i don't like about them, they all seem to have a very wide frame, making the hole you can get through even smaller than usual. So now impossible to get a sofa into the house.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

QED. I rest my case.

Reply to
Xeno

Works for my house. Can't lock myself out like those stupid Yale locks, and I don't have to use the handle to lock the door.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

<snip>

Yes, and it was common.

I can see you weren't buying luxury cars like the BMWs

The Beetle had the heater designed into the *exhaust system*. It was always like that from the very beginning because euro winters are harsh and a rear mounted engine provides no general warmth around the firewall area.

Datsun Bluebird 1964. Poverty pack in every sense of the word - but it came standard with a heater.

Koreans doing what the Japanese did in the 60s. ;-)

10 years ago is *recent*.

It was *optional* on RWD cars. There weren't many powerhouse FWDs in the

70s to worry much about torque steer. That came later. The Mini Cooper S/Clubman GT did have lots of power with tiny wheels so it was an issue with them.
73 Golfs are not equipped with copious amounts of *power*. The Golf diesels are even worse though they have torque aplenty.
Reply to
Xeno

A standard mortice lock lasts for decades with no maintainance.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or just live in a nicer place. I can leave my doors wide open for a month and I won't get anything stolen.

Glaziers are thick as f*ck and fit them backwards in 50% of case. The seal is supposed to be on the inside!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Unless you secure every single part of your house, they'll find a way to break in. Maybe your country should invest in better police? Must be difficult when you're all descended from criminals though.

Anything mechanical breaks.

And when they do go wrong it's harder or more expensive to fix.

Indeed, I have one. But it's not 7 points. It just operates part of the Yale lock.

How do you open the door then?

You cannae break the laws of physics captain!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Intelligence cannot magically make a key stronger.

There's only one turned by the key. The others are electrical.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why Rod, what an assumption you are making there! LOL

Reply to
Xeno