modern condensing boiler vs. dacades old standard boiler,

My last c/h boiler was a combi, and it broke down about once a year, on average. Conversely, my parents had an old regular-type boiler (i.e., not a combi) which never needed any maintenance in about 30 years. I now want to install a c/h system in my new house. So, regarding my choice of boiler: Considering the cost of purchasing, plus the cost of maintenance balanced out against the difference in thermal efficiency, might I be doing myself a favour by installing a cheap, old, reliable, standard boiler, say from a demolition yard, rather than forking out for a modern condensing combi?

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_z

In message , AL_z writes

Well, you could, but that WOULD be against the law

with few exceptions, any boiler installed now has to have an efficiency which eliminates installation of anything other than a condensing boiler

Reply to
geoff

Apart from the regulatory aspects of this, reliability isn't about the type of boiler, it's about the manufacturer's build quality. There's a difference, it's a significant and predictable one.

Also "combi" isn't the same thing as "condensing". The drawbacks of older, undersized combis aren't visited upon condensing boilers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"condensing" does not mean "combi". A plain condensing boiler though a little more complex than a burner, big lump of cast iron and flue doesn't have all the flow switches, valves, interlocks and control magicary that combis have to have.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reliability is more about make than type, although a system (regular-type) boiler is less complex than a combination boiler. The other advantage of a system boiler is that the hot water is stored in a tank, which can have a backup immersion heater and that gives you belts and braces cover. Both types are available as modern condensing boilers.

My personal preference is for a Vaillant system boiler and mains pressure hot water tank, both of which are sitting in my side porch awaiting installation.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In short yes, the old one would give you a better financial result, and less hassle. It wont comply with the latest rule though. Typical of this government.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd love to see a true cost comparison of the cast-iron brick, over the latest incarnations. For a start, you'd have to allow for three or four boilers in the same time period, including all the raw material, manufacturing, installation and maintenance overheads. The fuel cost is just one element. Let's face it, it's a manufacturer's and service industry's dream come true.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

In short yes, the old one would give you a better financial result, and less hassle. It wont comply with the latest rule though.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not much at all. A combi is system boiler with a 3-way valve and a plate heat exchanger for DHW. 90% is the same.

An in-line instant electric heater can be fitted in the combi outlet. A small box say under the sink.

A poor choice as the unvented cylinder is a potential bomb. Unvented cylinders need an annual service costing £60-£100 a year. The best, if you have the mains pressure and flow is a high flowrate combi. Floor mounted like the Worcester-Bosch 550 or wall mounted like the ATAG 51kW. The ATAG is quality. It works out cheaper to fit and install and saves a hell of a lot of space and no bomb in the house or need annual service expenses.

It is best you send back the boiler and cylinder and reassess.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which ones did you go for Colin? A similar combination is looking likely for my system replacement.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yet this stupid NULabour government pay people who have no means of support, have no intention of getting such means, to have as many children as they want. The world population has trebled since the 50s, add to which the 3rd world quite justifiably wish to attain the same standard of living as the developed world. To neglect this as they do, is a FAR greater contributor to world pollution than old gas boilers.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Go for Remeha Broag Avanta plus with the weather compensation option.

Best value for money and top quality. See, I am even good to people from Essex.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What is the warranty period on these boilers?

Reply to
Toby

I'd look up the maker's website. That's all dribble does. And be very careful of his 'recommendations' - he changes them more often than his underpants. He also has no conception of hot water needs in the average house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I want a boiler where I don't even need to know such things. Even if they come and fix it for free afterwards, I still don't want a boiler that fails and leaves me in the lurch.

So long as you do read up on the brand reputations and don't buy on the basis of sticker price alone, you can get a reliable boiler without spending excessively.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

leaving aside that you probabl ywouldn't be allwoed t ofit suc ha thing now....

When my father's coke boiler packed up, he installed an old cast iron gas boiler that next door had just thrown out in the mid 1960s. That was before the introduction of North Sea gas (they changed the burners when NSG was introduced). It was still working fine when i switched it off for th the las ttime in 2003.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

5 years.