Cobi boiler or regular boiler for hard-water area?

Hello DIY-ers,
I am buying a house in a hard water area. It has no c/h system and no boiler and I inted to install both. I gather condensing boilers are the way to go these days, but what about the question of combi vs. regular? My experience of a combi in my previous house was that it was constantly furring up dure to the hard water, and I spent a fortune keeping it running. Conversely, my parents had an old fasioned regular boiler and a copper cylinder that never needed any repairs or maintenance. Bleeding the rads once a year was all that was required. So, is there a good argument for using a regular condensing boile rather than a combi? The house I'm buying is a 3-bed semi.
Many thanks.
Al
Al 1953 wrote:
Al Lights the blue touch paper and stands back ;-)
(cue combi Vs stored system debate - again)

If you stick a phosphate dosing unit (like a "Combimate" for example) in front of the combi then it should not suffer scale problems. That should then bring the decision back to the basic one of which better suits your requirements.

Things like how many people, what's the cold mains flow rate and pressure like etc might be more relevant...
--
Cheers,

John.

I plan to put a conventional ion exchange water softener in front of mine.

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

Even better ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Curiously, the installation instructions for my combi say that softening the water isn't recommended. Any idea why?
(at a guess, the extra sodium ions might react with the aluminium?)
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Fortunately my Veissmann is stainless steel but I also would be interested to learn the reason.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

Jon Fairbairn wrote:

It reduces the amount they can charge you for spares, and they have a commercial deal with Clag-on?
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:05:29 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

The Culligan SFWH1 whole house unit has many times the capacity of the Combimate and does the same job, and is about £40 from Screwfix including the extra fittings you'll need. Bit more fiddly to fit though (hint: 3/4" bath tap flexi connectors fit the plastic 3/4" bushes that come with it; any other 3/4" Male fittings you try to use on it are liable to strip the threads).
--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Fundamentalist agnostic

Thanks, John... I'm not sure of those factors just yet.
Alan53
Al 1953 wrote:

do a cost analysis vis a vis a combi and a softener, versus a mains pressure system boiler without.
However I recommend a softener for all hard water areas. Its not just boilers..shower heads, taps everything furs up and you spend an arm and a leg descaling and repairing.
I dont personally like combis unless space is very limited and there is only a single person or a well in tune couple. Peak flow rates are too low frankly for all but one at a time usage.
And if you get a bigger one instead, it just takes up more space and costs more.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 20:32:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Though in the (few) houses I've seen with softeners (here in Reading: a very hard water area) I've a suspicion that the 'softened' (i.e. sodium-rich) water attacks some brassware - taps and suchlike.