Moderately OT

That sounds like somebody did not do enough testing to me. This is why I feel beta testing needs to be a more accessible sport for a project, as the worst people to test software is the writer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa
<snip>

Hmm, not here though, so maybe not a function that was introduced early on?

OK.

I can no longer access Dropbox, Skype and now Whatsapp on this old XP box so I *really* need to get the W10 ITX Quad core Atom box I made a while back alongside this one and on the spare port of my KVM switch and start weaning myself across.

This means I can use the latest version of FF, TB and Agent and hopefully get back to Dropbox, Skype (I still have a few friends that IM me over Skype) and Whatsapp.

It also runs Sketchup (& Repetier) ok, considering it's only an Atom and using the onboard graphics so that with Octoprint on the RPi / 3D printer means I can be more productive from the same place. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ever thought of using a Linux box?

Reply to
Jeff Layman
<snip>

I have several Linux boxen Jeff, mostly dual-booting with Windows and a few just running Linux (mostly Mint, Ubuntu or Raspbian on RPi's etc).

It's just for my *main* / everyday desktop I really need it to do the widest range of things and in a way it was natively designed to be used and that means it has to be Windows.

Most of the Linux / OSX fanboys here have to run Windows as well, either dual boot or in a VM / WINE whilst I don't have to run Linux / OSX for anything.

What I do use and appreciate is Gparted on DVD / USB live Linux images, very handy.

Linux has definitely improved (from a semi-technical / non-programmers POV) over the years from something I was unlikely to get running (fully) to something that is generally pretty easy to get running (inc sound, LAN and graphics etc) but unfortunately for many of the things I do that's not enough, with many programs and utilities being Windows only and I can't see the point of running a Windows program on a VM or under WINE as that's just added complication. Plus I'm no programmer so unless I can find a very up-to-date and accurate walk through for what I want to do the chances are I won't be able to do it. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m