Minimum gradient of bath/washbasin waste pipe

Our bath/washbasin waste pipe emerges through the wall and then, via an elbow, goes very slightly *uphill* for a run of a couple of feet, before another elbow joint connects to a vertical pipe to ground level. The highest point is probably an inch or so above the point where the pipe emerges through the house wall, but as far as I can estimate, is below the level of the bath plughole.

Is this likely to be responsible for water that is run out of the bath ejecting the water from the washbasin U trap, or water from the washbasin flowing into the bath and/or ejecting the bath's U trap wate, with copious gurgling? And also causing very slow drainage of water from the bath (several minutes to empty the bath).

I can see that even if it's not the cause of the gurgling and back flow into the bath, it's not a good idea to have water standing in the pipe because it will (and does!) freeze in cold weather: several times I've had to dismantle the pipework and pour boiling water down the section that is normally horizontal/uphill, to encourage the plug of ice to emerge.

Reply to
NY

In message , NY writes

Seems likely. The uphill bit has to be full allowing the flow to suck.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have some experience with uphill waste pipework. It doesn't seem to impede drainage much - but if one section's uphill, the rest may also be badly laid out, causing slow drainage. Slow drainage plus uphill = collection of muck, causing partial blockage.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

NY expressed precisely :

I would look to modifying that, it does need to have a constant fall, to avoid problems of freezing and blockage from dirt. It is also bound to cause the gurgling and slow drainage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

1:100 to 1:60 for turds

bathwater can be steeper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A Bing search for the words of your Subject line, without surrounding quotes, would seen to offer sufficient enlightenment.

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

It also pongs something terrible in hot weather so I'd at least try to move the first elbow so its uphill not downhill of the other bend. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or Building Regulations Part H, for chapter & verse.

Reply to
Andy Burns