Meths, white spirit & label remover not compatible with CU

Splashed gloss on a CU, removing the gloss messed up my neatly colour printed labels. No problem I thought, I will use RS label remover (citrus smelling).

Label off, hmm, seems rather sticky. It was at that moment I noticed the letters "PS" on the fold down door, no doubt polystyrene. Finger nail will plane the surface, stuffed.

Sigh. Well someone had to get the Darwin Award today.

Reply to
js.b1

I tend to use diesel to clean electricals.

NT

Reply to
NT

Pretend you live in a council house. Paint all the CU cover and all your lightswitches and sockets with gloss:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

PMSL!!!!!

Do you write for Viz by any chance?

LOL

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are wicked :-)

Glanced at the MK metalclad, it has a PS cover. Enough to make you run to the Fibox catalog, think MEM do proper metalclad top-n-bottom like god intended.

Where the PS lid "rolled up into balls" is right over the terminals & busbar, so not taking risking it. Picked up a new CU, irratingly date code on the lid obviously conflicts with that on the base but Part Pathetic permits enclosure replacement.

Reply to
js.b1

I tend to use diesel to clean electricals.

NT

Odd for something to be soluble in both polar (meths) and non polar (white spirit) solvents. Polystyrene dissolves very easily in chlorinated solvents - Chloroform; carbon tet; 'trike' etc - that are also very good for removing label glues... Suspect it was only your last choice that did the damage.

Spamlet

Label remover? Yes it was :-)

The damaged turned out to be just surface roughness with the lid removed, the plastic is actually thicker over that area that it appears - just poorly braced considering there is clearance from breakers below.

Reply to
js.b1